House Church Talk - House church or simply church wherever people are

Glenn Frank glennfrank at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 28 10:34:13 EDT 2004

Hey Dan and Dan...

I'm thinking that the 'pastor' issue is really not so much an issue of
structure of the church... Or even authority issues necessarily... It is the
misconception that the 'pastor' is a job description rather than a Gifting
and means he is the one in charge. Not what I see in scripture.

Seems to me that a pastor is really just someone in the church who is GIFTED
with the pastoral GIFT... That is, someone who is sensitive to the needs of
people, is very relational and has a calling to protect them and the truth
of scripture. The person gifted as a pastor might additionally be gifted as
a teacher and a love for study and presenting Gods Word.

But the IC has taken this and made "Pastor" an office of authority rather
than a gifting that is to be used to better the church. It is true that men
gifted with the pastoral gift and calling might also be recognized as ELDERS
(now that is an actual 'office' of authority in the church... Not the gift
of pastor).

But what is more grievous to my heart is that the IC has the audacity to
give the title of "Head Pastor" to a man. Let me explain:

If 'pastor" means 'shepherd'...
And 'Head' intimates that he is the 'chief' leader...

Then they are calling this man the 'chief shepherd'... Which is a title of
Jesus -- the head of the church-- not a title fit for a servant leadership
'under-shepherd' as he should be!

Glenn Frank