House Church Talk - fatal house church attraction

jim sutton goodword at bresnan.net
Sat Jul 31 09:13:22 EDT 2004

David Anderson wrote:

>Without naming any names today and speaking from several years of reading
>dialogue from the house church discussion lists, I have come to believe
>that house churches --attract-- a few folks who lack the social skills of
>getting along with ANY other Christians.

Excellent observations, David.

I first met the Lord and began to follow Him when I was 17.  Coming right out
of a life of crime and drugs, etc.,  I was accustomed to fighting, quarreling,
hating, revenge -- all that sort of thing.  And one of the first things I
noticed about the Christian life, from within, is the amazing new peace that I
had.

I had never experienced such peace in my heart and mind.  And so when I first
began telling my old buddies, my family, and others about the Lord Jesus, I
talked a lot about having this wonderful peace, and a joy that did not require
alcohol, drugs, or crude jokes.

And I realized for the first time that it's impossible to have peace with
other people, other nations, other races, etc. when there is no peace within
our own hearts.  Any real and lasting peace with others starts inside our own
hearts.

We humans often blame our rage and wars on the differences that we have, such
as skin color, blood lines, religious convictions, previous acts of violence,
political views, cultural peculiarities, and so on.  But the real reason for
our desire to fight others is the turmoil inside of us.

Jesus is the answer for us now, just as He was when we first fled to Him in a
desperate hope for salvation.  Living and remaining in His good Presence each
day is the key to any peace we may have with others -- even if they're
Democrats.

Jim

Scripture says:
For we ourselves were once foolish, disobedient, led astray, slaves to various
passions and pleasures, passing our days in malice and envy, despicable,
hating one another.  But when the goodness and loving kindness of God our
Savior appeared, he saved us, not because of any works of righteousness that
we had done, but according to his mercy, through the water of rebirth and
renewal by the Holy Spirit.  This Spirit he poured out on us richly through
Jesus Christ our Savior, so that, having been justified by his grace, we might
become heirs according to the hope of eternal life.  (Tituis 3:3-7)