House Church Talk - suffering

flash flash at mbz.org
Mon Mar 8 12:16:39 EST 2004

Janet wrote:
> David, with regards to the link you provided about remarks on this film.
> You said you hadn't listened yet?  I would tell you not to bother.  It is
> nothing but anti-Catholicism, making mountains out of molehills, and full of
> weak arguments.  The speaker says that the Bible doesn't talk much about the
> suffering and therefore believes it is disproportional to make an entire
> movie filled with it.  Well, how much more could the Bible say than it does?
> It describes what happens, but this is one area where a picture is worth a
> thousand words.  Oh people, we CAN NEVER THINK TOO MUCH OF
> WHAT HE SUFFERED.

Is the issue suffering that Jesus endured?  While Is53 is clear about that aspect, as well as
other prophecy, isn't the issue more the complete person of Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour?
Don't settle on one aspect of Who or What Jesus did here on earth.

The end is His entirety as Saviour, not merely his suffering.  If the Word of God intended us
to focus on Jesus' suffering, it would have given us all it needed us to know of that issue.
Instead, it is incomplete on this issue, and in our humanity, we religiously make suffering an
issue.

The promise given early on in the Bible is simply this:
Ge 3:14-15
  And the LORD God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above
all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt
thou eat all the days of thy life: and I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and
between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

This is the accomplishment of eternity, not that certain suffering was endured.  Many others
thru history have perhaps endured greater suffering at more gross hands than what is given in
crucifixion.  Feed the lions?

I dunno, I may be waaaay off on this issue, but the suffering and real depiction of suffering
does not draw me to any sort of inclination to see this movie - not at all!!  But the
discussion and exposure here is very interesting, so thank you Janet and others for putting up
your comments.

Religion takes on many many forms, even when we attempt to slink away from religion, we end up
being religious.

We just gotta be careful.
Dan ChicagoArea