House Church Talk - First century power grab.

jim pierceall jpierceall at brtc.net
Thu Mar 11 12:43:30 EST 2004

Hi David and David...

Was Ignatius, Hebrew?  Important to the child used as example w/ in  Jesus'
arms teaching...  I always felt that maybe this was one of those "fables" of
editorial creativity that lend credibility to Ignatius having him to become
"larger in folks imaginations" than maybe he would have been if seen as only
a simple brother, in Christ ???  What say you?

DavidM:  You certainty constructed a very well framed post, especially in
light of firing from the hip ...  Much to give consideration to...

This we find true and immediate agreement:  Jesus did not give the Empirical
Roman Ruling Standard as the model to be followed or imitated...  The top
down model that predominates, as world model, continues to expose how Jesus
Kingdom would be recognizably different than what He has established for
us...

Again:  With Jesus saying, "This shall not be found (in practice) among
us..."  This may not have just been an instruction, but an actual "sign" for
the believer, that when we see and recognize top down management model, we
are in the wrong kingdom...

Now let's say everything you supposed as being a more correct view of what
Ignatius wrote, and the motivation behind same was true and honorable...
let us fast forward to the day the doors of the church would be thrown
opened, not by a rebirth, but by a Roman Empirical Ruler...  Now the church,
that was to be in the world, but not of it (boat in the sea, great - but sea
in the boat, dangerous) - becomes swamped and only those eyes and ears of
worldly origin, will now use Ignatius words to foster their own Empirical
appetites...

To this day when we address those supposedly of the church, w/ scriptural
proof text, they dodge, side step, do a boogy woogy and quote the
"Traditions of the Early Church Father's" and truth be told - they love
these writings more than the recorded words that Jesus spoke.. This shall
NOT be found among you...

Well, you have given much to be digested and considered...  I stand by
waiting for others to share..

JimP - kentucky

Hey maybe Ignatius repented before death, of his first writings...  He would
learn the futility of ministering trying to coral flesh in hopes of having
it made presentable to God, and went back to a more simple message of
everyone must pick up their cross, willing to die daily, if they wanted to
follow Christ...  I justbetcha that  written repentance would have
disappeared  from the archives...<smile>