House Church Talk - Jesus Freaks

forwarded forwarded at housechurch.org
Fri Mar 26 15:04:35 EST 2004

P. Andrew Sandlin | The church and her prophets need each other

Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me,
let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. For whoever
saves his life will lose it, but whoever loses His life for my sake will
find it."

Mat thew 16:24-25

It's easy criticize the excesses of both the Jesus Movement and the
Charismatic Movement of the late 60s and early 70's, but many thousands
converted in these movements (I have met quite a few) persist even today
as strong Christians, often tempered by subsequent study of the Bible and
orthodox theology and contact with institutional Christianity. The
Charismatic Movement was attempting to recover, however naively at times,
the tragic neglect of the Holy Spirit in the 20th century church. The
Jesus Movement redirected attention to the very central Person of our
Faith Who had been obscured in both liberal and conservative
Christianity. These movements criticizing the institutional church were
both radical and prophetic.

Amid the radical individualism of the postmodern world, we hear renewed
calls for institutional Christianity and its exalted view of the visible
Church as the incarnation of Christ on earth (a hoary and venerated
position of the Latin Church ); a highly structured and ritualized
liturgy in harmony with certain prominent sectors of the church catholic;
and an exaltation of medieval Christianity, its ecclesiocentric vision,
and its Christian culture. This trend, in many ways a healthy reaction to
our individualistic culture, offers one version of Christianity and
cannot claim hegemony, as, indeed, no other version can. At major (but
surely not all) points this expression wishes to maintain continuity with
Christian history, just as it wishes (at points) to deviate from Biblical
Christianity. No one version of Christianity can claim that it alone
represents the true Faith; for this reason we need to be attuned to all
sectors of the Church.

The Radicals and the Prophets

A frequent blind or at least neglected side in a highly institutionalized
Christianity is its assessment of radical and prophetic elements,
individuals and ministries that say and do holy things uncomfortable to
institutionalists. Jesus Himself was the most notorious example of this
phenomenon, as were His early disciples, as well as Noah, Elijah and the
other Old Testament prophets. To remove the radical and prophetic
elements of the Bible is to deracinate it. But valid institutions are in
the Bible, too - the "objective" community of Old Testament Israel and
New Testament churches; and it is worth noting that the Lord not once
commanded separation from these institutions, even in their most apostate
condition. On the other hand, He reprimanded these communities for not
listening to the "radicals" and prophets He raised up to say truthful but
uncomfortable things (Mt. 23:29-35). Prophets need institutions to keep
them accountable, and institutions need prophets to keep them zealous.
The institutions should not excommunicate her prophets, and the prophets
should not separate from their institutions.

The primitive church was a radical and prophetic "eschatological
community," looking for the imminent end of the age and the return of the
Lord. When the Lord did not return, this fervor cooled. The Latin father
Augustine later accounted for this delay by constructing a Christian
philosophy of history, something the primitive church could scarcely have
conceived. Augustine laid the foundations of the medieval world by
equating the institutional church with the Kingdom of God. While the
Bible itself will not sustain this simplistic formulation, we can credit
Augustine with faithfully highlighting the institutional dimension of the
Faith. A balanced Faith will preserve both of these elements -
Augustine's institutionalism and the primitive church's radicalism.

Jesus Freaks Wanted

Among the radicals and prophets we need today are "Jesus Freaks,"
Christians committed to their Lord in a white-hot passion that burns away
almost all dross and rebukes and awakens the church to its spiritual
torpor. These Christians will be always zealous, frequently odd, and
sometimes erratic - and the church must not live without them. In recent
times we think of musicians Keith Green and U2's Bono, authors Francis
Schaeffer and Gene Edwards, pastors A. W. Tozer and John Stott,
theologians Abraham Kuyper and John Frame, and evangelists Leonard
Ravenhill and John Armstrong, who fit this category. They break many of
the established categories and "business as usual" to awaken the church
to her main obligation - love for and fidelity to the Person of Christ.
Like His own parents in Jerusalem (Lk. 2:43-44), it's easy to miss Jesus
in the bustle of religiosity. Religiosity is one of the great enemies of
Jesus, and we should not be surprised that Jesus reserved His severest
denunciation for the most religious individuals of His age (Mt. 23). In
reaction to the (secular) radical individualism of our age we dare not
squelch those (godly) radical individuals without whose courageous
testimony the Church will drift (again) into a pious, ritualistic
apostasy.

Let's have holy enthusiasts - young people who play loud steel guitars
and sing off-beat songs and indict "The Establishment," ecclesiastical as
well as civil, for its hypocrisy; theologians who slay sacred traditional
cows in pointing us back to Jesus unmasked from cultural accretions;
pastors who lead their churches away from a comfortable conservatism to a
city-shaking faith pulling down Satanic strongholds; missionaries who do
not merely plant churches and stay put but who also penetrate entire
societies with a conquering gospel.

Change in both church and culture will spring from radicals like John
Wesley, who never left the Anglican Church but whose relevant faith, if
not always accurate theology, reshaped the consciousness of a nation. We
cannot expect that a Christian culture will follow merely a careful,
scholarly restructuring of civil law. We need Jesus freaks, zealots for
the Lamb who will surrender anything, go anywhere, rebuke anyone, to
press the claims of Jesus. This is not a message that institutional
Christianity is eager to accept, but it is one without which it cannot
long survive as a driving, godly force.

But may the radical and prophets always love the Church, love her members
even in their depravity, as Jeremiah loved and longed for the apostates
to whom he prophesied. May the radicals never leave the church in
disgust, but pray and grieve over her - until justice spawns victory.

<http://www.christianculture.com/cgi-local/npublisher/viewnews.cgi?category
=
3&id=1079461172>