House Church Talk - "God not with us," she wrote.

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Mon Mar 29 15:11:09 EST 2004

Here below is a short excerpt from a lengthy piece which turned up in my
mailbox a few weeks ago. Short, because I have not requested permission
to forward it. The words are from a former pastor's wife, perhaps best
left unidentified.

    David Anderson

For these past ten years, seeing that God was so obviously not with us,
my prayer has been that He would reveal to us our ornaments. What are
those things that we cling to that have caused Him to withdraw?

We get our ornaments from many places and we may wear them privately or
corporately, but, for the sake of this writing, I am going to talk only
about those ornaments we get from the Institutional Church.

The Ornaments

Please remember, as you read this, I am talking about ornaments, not
people. For example, some of the Israelite ornaments were gold. Gold has
no soul. The person wearing it has the soul. They may use the gold to
build a calf, or to cover an ark.

PASTOR: This ornament is the most valuable one you can get at IC. It says
you are the most important person at every function. You have a special
inside with God, and those closest to you are the most important people
after you in IC. Since the size of your ornament depends on the number of
people who follow you, and the amount of dollars they generate, it helps
if you are good at PR and can administrate. If you don't have these
skills, it is important to get people to follow you who have them.
Another plus of this ornament is it comes with a salary. The requirement
for this ornament is the ability to get people to follow you.

ELDER This ornament goes to those who have that wonderful combination of
dedication to the IC and success in the world. A willingness to spend
time with needy sheep and having the gifts of the Spirit of God add
luster to this ornament, but are not necessary.

DEACON This ornament goes to those new members of IC who are willing to
sacrifice everything they have to fulfill the demands of the Pastors and
Elders. Being a team player (this is called being "faithful" in IC
language) really adds value to this garb. Requirements? Voluntary
enslavement at the expense of your family, relationship with the Lord,
and common sense.

WORSHIP LEADER Don't get this confused with a worshipper, one whose heart
hallows the Lord. This ornament goes to those who stand before the IC and
lead singalongs with the intention that everyone will enjoy it to the
point of going up to the mountain of experience. IC membership will
reflect the skill of the Worship Leader, so Pastors are always on the
lookout for skilled musicians. In a progressive IC, a Pastor may even use
those who have no relationship with God to take his sheep into the Holy
of Holies.

There are pitfalls with this jewel: nobody wants to confront a Worship
Leader if they have sin (called "artistic temperament" in IC language)
because they may stop singing if they are offended. Since the songs are
usually about Jesus, and He is a God of fire, Worship Leaders take the
chance of getting burned.

TITHER (10%, an Old Testament term not advocated in the New Testament).
Everybody who gives money to the IC gets a version of this ornament. The
size and value of the ornament depend on the quantity of money. Extra
weight is given to the jewel if it is given when common sense says it
should have gone for bills or other needs, because then the money was
given by "faith", an IC term used to identify a gift given with the hope
that it will be reciprocated.

MEMBER jewels that go to those who, whether or not they agree with
everything the IC is all about, are willing to sign a paper or make a
public vow promising to support the IC by frequenting their hallowed
meetings, volunteering for IC maintenance jobs, and giving money to
support the IC. This is called "commitment" in IC language. Most IC's
won't allow Christians to serve freely in their group unless they have
this ornament. IC has developed many teachings to persuade Christians
that there is some- thing wrong with them if they refuse to wear this
jewel. Requirement? Sign a paper or make a vow.

SPECIAL SPEAKER This ornament is for those who sell their thoughts.
Whether the speaker is a Prophet or a comedian, sheep will spend time and
money on them because: They are hungry and hope to get something to eat,
or Pastor says go, or they feel guilty for not being "faithful", or they
like being around people (enjoy "fellowship" in IC language). The beauty
of the ornament is reflected in the amount of money the speaker gets for
speaking, because sheep give more money to speakers they enjoy listening
to. The qualifications are that you think sellable thoughts, and the
confidence to express them publicly.