House Church Talk - Re: Fluid Church

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Wed Mar 31 19:29:15 EST 2004

     Hey there,

I had another thot on the idea of fluid church which we discussed several
weeks ago.

Remember those old milk cartons which had the words 100% homogenized on
the side? This meant that the contents were consistent and without lumps
and layers - of uniform consistency. "Homogenized" comes from the word
"homogeneous."

I actually encountered that word in an old Christian book which described
a "homogeneous body of elders." In other words, they were equal or the
same. This would be in distinction to churches today which have "ruling"
and "teaching" elders. Truth is, all elders are to teach, just as all
older women are.

In what could truly be called the Lord's prayer, Jesus prayed that his
people would be one. That's found in John 17. Are we doing our part to
promote unity, wherever possible and I know that sometimes it does seem
pretty impossible.

      David Anderson