House Church Talk - Look who Jesus Chose

Dan Beaty dlbeaty at copper.net
Sun May 2 10:41:46 EDT 2004

Bruce,

No apology needed for the long post. Sometimes it takes a few extra words to
communicate a point. You have noted an angle that I have never looked at in
these passages, that of primary and secondary responsibility. I will have to
consider the application to the various references you have presented, and
some others I am wondering about.

The part about Jesus "doing nothing of His own initiative" is one that I was
taught in my early Christian experience. This principle is found throughout
the Scripture, in Noah, Abraham, Moses, Gideon, Jeremiah etc etc.

Watchman Nee made an excellent balancing point from the Acts chapter13.
While the prophets and teachers ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy
Ghost said, "Separate me Barnabas and Saul for the work whereunto I have
called them."

While these historic missionary journeys were initiated by God, the church
in Antioch was not passive but active in seeking the Lord's direction. He
initiated the work through those who were preparing their hearts,
effectively saying, "Here I am Lord, send me!"

Dan Beaty
Columbus, Ohio
www.livingtruth.com