House Church Talk - Re: Look who Jesus Chose

Richard Wright wrightd at sc.rr.com
Sun May 2 18:18:43 EDT 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 04:29:26 -0500, Ross J Purdy wrote:
>Hi Glenn,
>
>You Wrote:
>
>>Does anyone think maybe that the gifts mentioned in Eph 4, while
>>they
>might
>>very well speak of church leaders, might also speak of the Body in
>general?
>>
>>For instance... There might very well be those gifted as
>>evangelists... or
>>Pastors... But they might not necessarily be elders or official
>>leaders of
>>the church.

Yes and yes.

Eph 4:11  And truly He gave some to be apostles, and some to be prophets, and some to be evangelists, and some to be pastors and teachers,

You'll notice that He gave "some", not "leaders". IMHO, it is extra-scriptural to identify these individuals as "officers" of the church. It's my understanding there are only two offices: elder and deacon. Further, these are gifts, not titles, and therefore can be applied to the body in general.

Eph 4:12  for the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ.

These gifts and the gifted enable all the saints for the ministry. One gifted as a prophet might disciple a younger brother who also has the same gift, but is new in the Lord. 1 Cor. 14 makes it clear that prophecy is open to all, not leaders only.

To reserve these gifts for church officers would be elitist: don't you think?

Blessings,
Dick
Phil. 3:12-14