House Church Talk - Questions concerning leadership

Scott Dowlen scottdowlen at cox.net
Sun May 9 11:18:49 EDT 2004

Hi, Dan B!

I think your post is right on the mark.  We have the same problem with the
term 'leader' as we do with the term 'church'.

Just like 'church' has become a building, or a place to go or a thing to do,
'leader' has taken on meaning and connotation from the world system that
doesn't line up with Christ's example.  How many husbands use scripture to
justify control and manipulation of their wives, even though the kinds of
rulership mentioned in the context is one of sacrificial servant leadership
like you mentioned.

The group with which I fellowship has a man whose heart is 100% filled by
God to be a pastor. He used to think this meant professional ministerial
position in a conventional 'church', but now realizes that his gift makes
him a servant of the body. He also knows that there are times that the body
will serve him, too, in a spirit-led reciprocating arrangement. It's amazing
how we can't always define who the 'servants' and 'leaders' are because the
service and leadership work their way in all of us at different times at the
leading of the sweet Holy Spirit.

The group that stands out as false are those who say 'I am your leader -
follow me' and forbid or dissuade the following of any others who may also
be raised up to lead/serve.  Most of the 'follow me' types lead in the way
worldly leaders lead - by rules of law, command, charisma (of personality),
by drama and emotional manipulation, and all kinds of other methods that
confine and condemn those who are the 'followers'.  A Godly leader builds up
and edifies. Even in discipline and correction, love is the key. God's
trials and discipline now are redemptive and corrective. Our rebuke and
correction of one another should be the same. If 'being right' or 'getting
things done my way' is more important than loving someone, then we've just
become a noisy gong.

The world's church creates worldly leaders, because they depend on worldly
systems and organization to 'get things done.'  I am glad to be part of the
body of Christ where freedom reigns, and where we submit to one another in
love. This whole area of leadership is a perfect example of the contrast
between 'organized' vs. 'organic'.  Why do so many IC 'leaders' burn out?
Because they are doing something unnatural, and something devoid of the
power of God. They never receive ministry because their job description says
they are supposed to do the ministering.  It is easy to fall into this trap,
even in HC settings, because worldly styles of leadership appeal to the
flesh.  It's good to talk about it and keep holding up the standard so we
can stay on track.

Let him who wants to be great among you become the least.

Amen

Scott D.