House Church Talk - Attention all mothers!

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Sun May 9 21:58:08 EDT 2004

     Greetings from the South,

Upon another Mother's Day, we are again confronted with the old maxim:
"The hand that rocks the cradle, rules the world."

I'm thinking about my mother just now. She died just a year and a few
day's ago. Two aspects of her nature and habits may be relevant to home
church discussion.

1- Her hospitality. Regardless of where she lived, she would set up a
room in the house for the specific purpose of meeting together with the
saints. Like Priscilla and Aquila of old she "took" the church with her
from place to place.

2- Her home church, which she called "CE" for Child Evangelism or "Bible
Club". I can see her now, looking backwards, ringing the bell, playing
the piano, marching in place to "I May Never March in the Infantry, but
I'm in the Lord's Army", singing "Onward Christian Soldiers," telling
"flannel-graph stories". Such as this was her favorite habitat.

"Brother Mother," we teased. Hey, when it came to pushing back the forces
of darkness on the local turf, that woman could sure kick some tail. Did
I just say "tail"? I certainly did! Thank you forever, Mom, and happy
Mother's Day to everyone here - especially those whom God has used to
bring others aboard this Terrestrial Ball - our Mothers and Grandmothers!

We would love to hear about your Mom sometime soon.

     David Anderson

PS: Was good to be in the company today of Rick and Barb Johnson as well
as the rest of our church family. Rick has a large collection of
percussion instruments and is helping our kids learn to play them. Thanks
much, Rickster!

Claire, I just noticed your question from a few days ago and would like
to feel that anyone seeking the Lord and his ways is welcome to be a part
of this circus. We, of course, do not screen users, who come and go at
will. As we present our views, hopefully the Truth will rise to the top
as time goes by. All we can do is politely lay our cards on the table, so
to speak.

I think of House Church Talk  as an ongoing debate and encouragement session. For
those who are interested, there are two passages in the NIV which use the
word "debate." Neat!

Acts 15:2 This brought Paul and Barnabas into sharp dispute and DEBATE
with them. So Paul and Barnabas were appointed, along with some other
believers, to go up to Jerusalem to see the apostles and elders about
this question.

Acts 18:28 For he vigorously refuted the Jews in PUBLIC DEBATE, proving
from the Scriptures that Jesus was the Christ.

And a couple for you with the word "persuade."

Acts 19:8 And he went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space
of three months, disputing and PERSUADING the things concerning the
kingdom of God.

Acts 28:23 And when they had appointed him a day, there came many to him
into his lodging; to whom he expounded and testified the kingdom of God,
PERSUADING them concerning Jesus, both out of the law of Moses, and out
of the prophets, from morning till evening.