House Church Talk - City Meetings - was: hc, women JL et.al

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Mon May 10 20:53:00 EDT 2004

Hi Dan (G),

You wrote:"I can sense that given a number of small "cell" groups or
homechurches that there will be quite a variety of people and agendas.  Yet,
with a stated goal as you suggest, there is potential cross pollination and
growth accross the city in these meetings.  Unfortunately, I do not see this
happening here in my city.  I am out of touch completely with christians in
this area -absolutely isolated.  We live here and I go to work, but that is
all there is here.  No community interaction at all.  And that follows
somewhat with the ideas we have ingested relative to homeschool and
housechurch.  Clear ability to state why? - no, certainly not like you, but
in general the premise is that if family is not of prime importance, then
something else is.  And then that defines the limits and extent of our
activities and that leads to general isolation.  I am wrong in many people's
eyes, I know, but that is where we are as a family and we are not correct in
all ways, but God is at work in us - that is known for sure by scripture."

Dear brother, in our culture it is very easy to be isolated, not just from
other Christians, but from other people in general! Could I encourage you
and your wife and family to take the initiative to seek to locate and get to
know other Christians right in your own community?  A couple of suggestions:
  Since you homeschool, there are usually homeschool associations/support
groups where ever there are a number of homeschool families in an area. Have
you inquired about such a group in your area?  Not all who homeschool are
Christians, but many do homeschool for scriptural reasons so you could
probably meet and get to know others through local homeschool activities. We
also have wanted to get to know other Christians in our area and so have
started attending the midweek prayer meeting of a local evangelical
congregation.  (It is in the midweek prayer meeting that you will likely
meet the most committed Christians in any congegation!!!)   We have also
invited many of the Christians we know to a weekly morning prayer meeting
for our community. It is held in a centrally located "neutral" spot, the
local Youth For Christ drop in center. We also seek to attend another prayer
meeting recently begun for the same purpose in a nearby community every
month.  I figure that if I allow my convictions regarding home church or
homeschool to isolate me from other saints of the church of God in my
community, I am just as guilty of denominationalism as any other group of
Christians! But if I take the truths concerning the Body (i.e. Romans 12 and
I Cor 12) seriously, I will seek to be part of the solution rather than part
of the problem of denominationalism.

You also asked:" Do you Bruce or anyone else know this type of city
meetings?  Is this coming with the general growth of housechurch?  Is this
merely a dream in these days of seeming rampant evil?  Perhaps these days
are not rampant evil any more than other days, I dunno, but it seems each
generation says it is worse than the previous - just a human foible,
perhaps?"

I have said here many times that I doubt if any of us have ever heard of or
witnessed this kind of whole church gathering in any modern community!  But
that is not because such gatherings are noit the will of God, but rather
because we have been steeped for generations in a whole denominational
mindest which is violently opposed to such gatherings which have nothing to
do with denominational controls!!!   (That is why I say that
denominationalism is one of  the greatest hindrances to the chuirch being
the church which God intends it to be!)

One might also ask, "Do you see Ephesians 4 "unity of the Spirit" being kept
in our communities?  Certainly not in any very apparent ways!  But does that
excuse me, personally, for failure to obey the comand of Eph 4:3???
Absolutely not!

Ed Silvosa, an Argentinian evangelist, defines a "stronghold" (II Cor
10:4,5) as: "A mindset permeated with hopelessness which causes me to accept
as unchangeable something which I know is contrary to the mind of God."

Some years ago, I recognized that I had allowed the enemy to erect in my own
mind a stronghold called DENOMINATIONALISM!   I knew that it was contrary to
the mind of God (I Cor.1:10-13) but I had accepted the denominational system
as an "unchangeable given". Therefore I had surrendered to that hopeless
resignation that denominationalism was here to stay and would be here until
the Lord returned!  Because of that, I was unwilling to make any attempt to
minister or to receive ministry across denominational lines! THEREFORE, I
HAD BECOME PART OF THE PROBLEM RATHER THAN PART OF THE SOLUTION TO THE
PROBLEM!

But when I heard Ed Silvosa define "strongholds" with such clarity, I knew
immediately that I had a responsibility to use the weapons of spiritual
warfare with which God has equipped me to "pull down that stronghold" by
"casting down every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of
God and bring into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ."
Just as wrong thinking is always the root of wrong behaviour, so too right
thinking is  the root of right behaviour.  So only as we allow the Word of
God to transform us by the renewing of our minds will we actually begin to
walk in obedience and submission to the will of God.

I have begun to ask myself these questions:
- "If a whole church gathering of the church of God in my community was
planned in the next few weeks, WOULD I BE WILLING TO PARTICIPATE? WOULD I BE
WILLING TO ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO PARTICIPATE? OR WOULD I BE A "WET BLANKET"
SEEKING TO THWART THE EVENT AND SEEKING TO DISCOURAGE OTHER BELIEVERS FROM
ATTENDING/PARTICPATING?
-Until believers generally in my community are prepared to support such a
gathering, what am I doing personally that will be a hindrance to such a
gathering ever happening here?  What am I doing personally to be a catalyst
to hasten the day when the whole church in my community will gather together
into one place???

My response to such  questions indicates how much of a
denominational/sectarian mindset remains in me!

Brother, it is certainly a human affliction that causes us to so easily
surrender our minds to strongholds of the enemy, but only by giving
ourselves to get to know God and His Word and being willing to allow Him to
change our thinking and behaviour will we become vessels fit for His use.

O Lord, take us up, cleanse us, fill us and use us to accomplish your
purposes and to fulfil the assignments that You give us!

Bruce