House Church Talk - Re: Two or three gathered

Glenn Frank glennfrank at earthlink.net
Mon May 10 14:45:11 EDT 2004

Hi Bruce,

The way I read Mat thew 18:20 is not so much His 'presence' He is talking
about (for as we both stated, He is present always... Whether we are there
or not) but Jesus was saying that when you resolve your conflict between
brothers in this way -- that is in essence Jesus saying "this is good"... Or
putting His blessing and approval on it.

When Jesus said this he was still in Bodily Human form. So I don't think his
intent in the verse was to say that when you resolve issues like this with
your brothers I will come running and stand there with you. He was saying
something like, "it is like I was here with you resolving your issue".

That is why I was saying that while it is true that God is there with us
when we gather (he is always with us... Not just when we gather)... This
verse is not a proof text for it. This verse is simply saying that when we
forgive and resolve sin between brothers in the right way, it has Jesus'
approval.

Glenn Frank