House Church Talk - Re: Two or three gathered

Sean Kelly seank at microsoft.com
Mon May 10 17:48:57 EDT 2004

Just to convey the other side. I am one of those who uses this verse to
point to what constitutes a church. Specifically because this passage is
the only one in scripture where Jesus uses the word church (in Mat
18:17, which is a very poor translation of the Greek word ekklesia, but
that's a whole other discussion) Outside of sacred texts this word is
used to refer to the town meetings where residents were 'called out' of
their homes to gather for the purposes of making decisions that effect
the whole community. In fact you can see this word used in Acts 19:32,39
to describe the assembly called by the silversmiths against Paul at
Ephesus. Additionally the Greek word to describe the gathering in Mat
18:20 is the same as that used in Acts 15:6, 15:30, 20:7-8, 1Cor 5:4,
and Rev 19:17. So to me the context is very much that of a church
gathering. Otherwise how could you say whatever you bind on earth shall
be bound in heaven and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in
heaven unless you are talking about the work of a body whose head is
seated at the right hand of the Father?

Just my two cents,
SeanK