House Church Talk - speaking

jesusislord343 at juno.com jesusislord343 at juno.com
Thu May 13 09:28:52 EDT 2004

On Thu, 13 May 2004 08:32:38 -0400 "TIM POOLE" <pooletim at hotmail.com>
writes:
> I have to agree with you on this Clair. Bondage is alive and well, its
just that some chains have hc written on them.

Dear Tim,
Greetings in Christ's holy name!  I certainly understand your concerns.
However, I would respectfully ask you to show any evidence from the word
of God that the Lord desires us to view the matter of the sisters
remaining silent in the assembly meetings in such derogatory terms, as a
terrible and unnecessary form of "bondage."  Have you not been poisoned
against this portion of the word of God by those who have negatively
characterized it?

Conversely, consider also that in the biblical sense of the word,
"bondage" is indeed a praiseworthy thing.  We who have been powerfully
made alive in Christ are made thus as "slaves of righteousness" and
"slaves of God" (Rom. 6:18, 22).

For a woman to joyfully and voluntarily be submissive (I Cor. 14:34) and
so remain silent in the assembly times is then one of these examples of
Spirit-worked bondage to Christ: "...Just as the church is subject to
Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything" (Eph.
5:24).

It is a powerful picture of restraint, just as our Lord Jesus did not
please Himself, but was submissive even "to the point of death" (Php.
2:8).  And it is "in the same way" exactly, as Christ's own powerful
example of submission (I Pet. 2:21-25), that wives are then commanded to
be submissive (3:1).  So, consider that our Lord may be teaching us a
very important spiritual lesson in strictly commanding His daughters to
remain silent at one point in time in their lives.

Grace, peace, and love,
Glenn