House Church Talk - the fool was wrong again today

jim.e.sutton at att.net jim.e.sutton at att.net
Fri Nov 5 16:09:08 EST 2004

The fool has said in his heart, "There is no God."   (Psalm 14:1)

Against the darkness of night a small red glow begins to brighten the sky in the east.  Like bright blood it slowly spreads its way upward, staining the distant clouds with color.  Within a few seconds the red splash grows, becoming bright orange and pink.  Moment by moment it blooms outward and upward into the sky, pushing back the darkness of early morning.

Higher and brighter, gold crowns the day as dark clouds explode with new light.  Now overhead and behind me the whole sky is washed with deep reds and brilliant pinks, streaked and slashed with new gold.

God is creating a new day.

The person who hopes only in knowledge will say that the glorious dawning is not the work of God, but simply the turning of the planet, bringing us round again into the sun.  Yet such thinking misses the whole point.

There is no such thing as a simple planet, a simple sun, a simple molecule or atom, or even a simple turning.  And there most definitely is no such thing as a simple perfect beauty, or a simple glorious fragrance (as from a rose), or a simple cold drink of pure spring water.

Yes, the planet certainly turns and the sun shines its light on us each day, as do the distant stars every night.  But the creation of God is not here by its own doing, its own efforts or choosing.  The universe did not call itself into being, nor was it able to unfold itself into the spectacular wonders we now see all around us.

The work of God is too great, too perfect in its execution to declare it simple or accidental or without purpose and meaning.

Even a sin-cursed creation unfolds before us each season in grand majesty, as barren winter becomes living spring again.  And spring turns to lush summer, which produces for us a harvest in fall.

We may admire the works of our own hands, scooting around in flashy autos and working in the offices of tall buildings, but none of those things would be here if autumn brought no harvest.  Without food and water, and a little fresh air, we would have no life or strength or driving desire to build our cities and toys.

The Lord is glorious as any glance at the heavens testifies.

A sullen God would not build such perfect beauty into the trees and flowers and birds and oceans of the earth.  A hateful God would not give us eyes to see such colors and noses to smell such fragrances as fills the earth.  Step away from the harsh and brittle works of mortal men and walk through an untouched meadow in spring, or the same meadow in snowy winter, to see the "simple" handiwork of the God who favors us with countless good things.

The Bible teaches us that human sin has marred all the creation around us, and we see the bloodshed and the pain of life.  We most likely know a few things about that bloodshed and pain up close.  Who has not known suffering of some kind, and terrible loss, and sorrow?

But even marred, the creation also testifies to a great design and a brilliant Designer.  God in grace has given each creature a way to carry on, a way to fit into the niches of life and existence.  Every fly, though hated by man, has its place.  Every frog, and raging bear, and rabbit, and wild flower has a place and a reason for being where it is.  Left alone (by meddling misfits) life is an orchestra of spectacular interaction and superb balance.

The fool says that there is no God.  The idiot philosopher says that God is too far away to touch the world we live in.  The sinner says that God cares nothing for the needs of suffering souls.

But the wise of heart will always return to God and embrace the Lord of Glory.  The wise of heart will run -- not away from God, but to the mercies of the Lord.

Yes, our God is a consuming fire.  And to approach Him is to risk everything we are and all that we have.  But to go on without Him is a far worse fate.  Better to yield to the call of the Holy Spirit and believe the news that God has sent out into all the earth -- the good news that sins are forgiven in Jesus Christ, for every soul that believes.

Embrace the Judge of the whole earth and live.  Agree with the verdict and confess the wrongs.  Lay aside the empty and pointless pride.  Walk away from the empty life without God.  Turn and run back to Jesus, back to God as your Father, back to the Lord who creates each new day for all flesh.

He, the Lord of Glory, will make things right.  He will embrace all who come to Him.  And then you will be ready to face the new day, every day.

In the Bible, another psalm says:

Open to me the gates of righteousness;
I will go through them,
And I will praise the LORD.
This is the gate of the LORD,
Through which the righteous shall enter.
I will praise You,
For You have answered me,
And have become my salvation.
The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone.
This was the LORD’S doing;
It is marvelous in our eyes.
This is the day the LORD has made;
We will rejoice and be glad in it.
(Psalm 118:19-24)

Indeed, this is the day that God has made.  Let’s make it count for good as long as we have breath.

Jim