House Church Talk - Good good to 9 generations

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Sat Nov 6 12:38:09 EST 2004

    HI all,

Some, as myself, are interested in house churches as a means of passing
on the torch to the next generations. Legacy building, of sorts.

Below is just a portion of an article which you might enjoy. As you are
aware, Hudson Taylor was one of the early Missionaries in China.

    David Anderson

--------------------

 by James Hudson Taylor III

The record of God's grace in our family goes back nine generations. Over
these years in the Lord's service, we have learned many lessons: the
influence of decisions, the power of prayer, the importance of
experiencing God's faithfulness in preparation for service, the
importance of getting one's priorities right, and the privilege of
partnership in service.

Decisions

The first James Taylor (1749-1795), a contemporary of John Wesley, lived
in Barnsley, in the north of England. He wasn't a Christian, and couldn't
have cared less about spiritual things, except perhaps in one sense.
Whenever Wesley or one of his circuit riders came to town, James Taylor
would be there, pockets bulging with rotten eggs or tomatoes, determined
to disrupt the meeting.

But one day as the young stonemason stood on the outskirts of the
gathering crowd to listen to a circuit rider, the word of the Lord struck
home: 'But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.' (Joshua
24:15) I don't know whether he threw any eggs that day, but I do know an
arrow from God`s word had hit its mark.

Soon came his wedding day. It was 1 February 1776. Early that morning
James slipped out into the fields away from the house to give careful
thought to the occasion. As he pondered the step he was about to take,
the words of Joshua 24:15 flashed into his mind. He thought, I don`t care
to think about that. I want to think about my bride, Betty, and about
today's big event. "But as for me and my house...we will serve the Lord."
The words echoed on.

more at: http://www.omf.org/content.asp?id=10035