House Church Talk - Re: Yet another newspaper article...

RoyalHeirling at aol.com RoyalHeirling at aol.com
Tue Nov 16 21:37:24 EST 2004

I have to admit that this is not the most comforting of news.

With people leaving the churches to worship at home as families--is this
organic, or are we seeing the ultimate division of the body into the least common
denomination. (A play on words). This way, every person can believe however
they choose. Religion personalized. And, they are accountable to themselves
only. No duty to a church body.

It used to be that when people in a church couldn't agree they would split in
half. Now we are splintering into families. This cannot be totally the
churches' fault.

I am truly sorry if I am unable to see justification in why many people leave
their church families. I can't find any examples of people leaving their
church family by choice in the scripture. I read about a lot of them that were
cast out for preaching Jesus and I know about a time in the 1800's when many were
thrown out for preaching about Jesus' second coming. Even Martin Luther, the
great reformation leader, was stunned to be excommunicated from the church he
loved.

Please help me understand why this is happening? Is it healthy for the body
to be disjointed? Can the body function when the members are separated from
each other? Can it rightly be called a body when parts are missing? Perhaps a
severed piece of flesh, but a body? I can understand home churches in a country
such as China where open worship is forbidden. And, I even know about
corruption in the IC. But I don't understand "just leaving."

I am confused and not sure this is all of God, since God is all about unity
and not division, and organization not confusion. Please set me straight,
gently...

Jeff Logan in Richmond

[God’s] heart of love is touched by our sorrows and even
by our utterances of them. Take to Him everything that
perplexes the mind. Nothing is too great for Him to bear,
for He holds up worlds, He rules over all the affairs of the
universe. Nothing that in any way concerns our peace is
too small for Him to notice.