House Church Talk - coming out without cutting off

Claire Bennett clairebnntt at cox.net
Thu Nov 25 10:46:57 EST 2004

I have left the IC system, but am still in relationship with friends within it.  Since the true church is made up of people, not buildings, programs, leadership, etc., we do not cut ourselves off from a portion of the body based on where we meet or other differences.  I can't say my heart was ever in the IC system; my heart was linked to the people I grew to love.

In some ways, the IC system is nothing but a glorified matchmaker, in bringing together people who wouldn't have met otherwise.  Sadly, after expending much effort and resources, the organization needs to control and exploit its customers.  Here is the blessing of the internet; meeting like-hearted people, and owing no man for the introduction.  This is why most churches and "ministries," have shut down "their" discussion lists and boards.  The sheep learn that all they need is their true shepherd and each other.  The paid, professional leadership is not only useless, it is an impediment.

I see parallels to the homeschool movement here.  Many who left government and private schools started out doing school at home, but gravitated to discipling their children in the ways of the Lord according to their children's and the family's needs.

The HC can make the same error and carry the IC baggage into the home, or make an equal error in throwing off all that relates to the past, rather than scrutinizing it through the lens of scripture and spiritual discernment.

We don't have to be limited to the home either.  We can bring our ministry to public places or to the home of a person in need.