House Church Talk - What are you thankful for?

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Sun Nov 28 11:24:55 EST 2004

>David wrote:
>
>> We were just reading about the Plymouth, MA settlement. During the first
>> winter food was so scarce that every person was limited to five (5)
>> kernals of corn per day. Yet none died.
>
>David,

>We need this kind of corn and blessing today. Organizations try to distribute
>food to hungry people but run into many obstacles and pirates. Yes, and some
>give their lives in this work. It is a sad world and yet it still retains
many
>of the blessings from God for us to be thankful for. None of us would
>receive anything from God's hand if it were not for the loving sacrifice of
>Jesus.
>
>Through the cross we receive all our bounty. It is the reason every person
>enjoys life--whether Christian or not.
>
>JeffL

Amen, Jeff. All things are of God and from God. Nothing is excluded.

And to think that these few seeds helped preserve the seed of an entire
nation to follow...

The corn account, interestingly, was part of the story of how these
Plymouth, MA colonists abandoned the idea of a communal garden and went
to family gardens.

Some were doing little or nothing and others were overloaded. Gov.
Bradford stepped forward and declared that those who didn't work would be
left out.

Other stories of communal living have had happy endings. Perhaps someone
on this list has been a part of one.

    David Anderson