House Church Talk - public meetings

Gary isa30 at verizon.net
Wed Oct 6 23:38:54 EDT 2004

Sheep and wolves,   hmmmm....

This is a distinction that makes a lot of sense. We occasionally  attend a
local church that aims at seeker sensitivity and welcoming everyone. I too
am very much behind an evangelistic effort whenever possible, but I can't
tell you how many times my little bit of tunnel vision has turned whatever
spirit of worship I have had into a fight with temptation because of what
people wear to church. Men are at fault as well, but I can't help but think
that I should be able to worship without having the memory of somebody's
midriff, cleavage or legs to do battle with. And these are members! We won't
even bring up the people who are just "visiting".

Please forgive my attitude here, because it is not my intention to sound or
be like the pharisee who said, "I thank thee that I am n ot like . . . " I
would hope to see more consideration on the part of believers and I am
certainly not trying to condemn anyone. It ijust seems that in the rush to
appeal to the unconverted and give them an atmosphere of welcome (albeit
with little or nothing said about sin lest they be offended) the church has
to resemble the world it is called from.

I will study these things in this post very carefully, because this may
provide an answer to the above difficulties. Just understand that I am not
trying to condemn these people. Were it not for the grace and mercy of God,
I would be in the same place. I'd just like some help in bringing them to a
different place.

The early church had singular meetings with two parts - that of teaching and
catechising and instruction to which all were welcome, but then came the
Lord's Supper where only those who were converted disciple were permited.
The idea of separate meetings mentioned here seems like the way it
originally began, then perhaps the two were merged. Once together, the
aspect of exclusion from that which only believers should attend must have
become a problem. I'd bet that the two parts were brought together so that
the non-believers would feel more welcome. Ahhh.... the beginning of seeker
sensitive in what, the second century?

Definitely worth some research and reporting back here. Thanks for the post.

Earnestly contending,

Gary

(Written using WindowEyes, the premier screenreading program from GW Micro
that makes PCs accessible to the blind and visually impaired.  Contact:
www.gwmicro.com)

"Preach not only so that the people can understand, but so that they cannot
misunderstand if they wish."  CH.Spurgeon

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the
full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the
schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but
against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this
darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist
in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm."  Ephesians
6:10-13