House Church Talk - public meetings, singing

Claire Bennett clairebnntt at cox.net
Thu Oct 7 12:10:31 EDT 2004

 We haven't had much in the way of public meetings, although we attempt to bring ministry wherever we go.  One of the people in the group has a gift for handyman stuff and is a mechanic, and he would like to do more of this as a ministry as time permits.  I noticed a advertisement at the shopping center for a bible study at a local Starbucks.  Since singing can be an annoyance in a restaurant type area, why is it required?  It appears to be  more tradition and an attempt to "set the mood" than any sort of scriptural mandate.

I would like to see the park/restaurant meetings as something that the community can be aware of, and know it is a place they are welcome.  Jesus went everywhere and fellowshipped among the non-religious, the sinners.  The problem is, most groups that do this see it as a stepping stone to bigger and better things :(

I have a story about singing in a public place.  I was part of a choir/worship team, many years ago.  We would often go out afterwards for fellowship and food.  Well, we went into this deli and it was very crowded and we had to wait a long time.  So, we decided to sing, all of us doing harmonies and parts, etc.  Patrons came up to comment positively.  However, one of the people in our group had brought some guests who became embarrassed and said they would leave if we continued, so, the concert ended:)