House Church Talk - public meetings, singing

jim pierceall jpierceall at brtc.net
Fri Oct 8 07:29:27 EDT 2004

Thanks Claire for reading and taking time to respond w/ dialogue...

From: "Claire  << I noticed a advertisement at the shopping center for a
bible study at a local Starbucks.  >>

We sometimes will run the risk of being like John, when this account is
given:  Luke 9:49-50

49 Now John answered and said, "Master, we saw someone casting out demons in
Your name, and we forbade him because he does not follow with us." 50 But
Jesus said to him, "Do not forbid him, for he who is not against us is on
our side."
NKJV

<OR>

Lord, we see questionable disciples "teaching at the unapproved and
unsanctioned Starbuck's".  Would you want us to go over there and set their
doctrines straight.. <smile>

Claire writes:  <<Since singing can be an annoyance in a restaurant type
area, why is it required?  It appears to be  more tradition and an attempt
to "set the mood" than any sort of scriptural mandate.>>

As I wrote:  << <please bear in mind - no hard fast boundaries need be
applied>

I suppose one of the great challenges, is that when our individual
gathering's liturgies take shape, that we don't become so "locked in" that
we can't function w/out it...  Depending on yesterday's success (what worked
well) could become today's failure...  That is if we become dependent on
"formats" rather than leading of God, the Holy Spirit...

I could live (function) w/out the songs/singing but then I would miss those
sweet messages also...  As stated, they may carry the fewest words, yet the
better messages... O;>)

Claire writes: << 1.  I would like to see the park/restaurant meetings as
something that the community can be aware of, and know it is a place they
are welcome.  Jesus went everywhere and fellowshipped among the
non-religious, the sinners.  2.  The problem is, most groups that do this
see it as a stepping stone to bigger and better things :(  >>

I agree there is something to be said FOR a publicly known gathering
location (same time, same place) where those that might want to venture out
of traditional settings might interface and cross pollinate w/ others that
are hungry for more of Jesus...    This captures why we persisted w/ that
format...  I suppose if asked, it served as a "introduction place" for
deeper waters, and NEVER designed as to becoming more...

I remember vacationing one year to Florida, and w/ no exact plan we ended up
at a working fishing village of Hudson Bay.  There at the functional beach
motel - we were right next to the city park/beach..  Unsophisticated as
compared w/ the more tourist trappings...  Turned out that every Thursday
night a group of young singers/musicians/friends would gather and sing to
Jesus...  NO pro preacher preaching - just sharing together and letting
their light shine in a public way...  It was more social than a programmed
hidden agenda...  But I definitely remember them as "fishing"... They didn't
see it exactly - but I remember the idea capturing me - Jesus sure enjoyed
the fishing villages of His day - and I suppose He hasn't changed... <smile>

I haven't forgotten those folks - thou just a chance meeting..  a humble
collection of maybe three IC's influences, along beside those considered
unchurched - but rather being led of God Himself...

Claire, I enjoyed this story....

<<I have a story about singing in a public place.  I was part of a
choir/worship team, many years ago.  We would often go out afterwards for
fellowship and food.  Well, we went into this deli and it was very crowded
and we had to wait a long time.  So, we decided to sing, all of us doing
harmonies and parts, etc.  ***Patrons came up to comment positively***.
However, one of the people in our group had brought some guests who became
embarrassed and said they would leave if we continued, so, the concert
ended:)  >>

Some folks are just more reserved than others - yet - even if this was but
one time ____ and giggles - who is to say that you didn't plant a seed w/
someone you might never meet....  until His big round up anyway?

I believe the Life in Christ is not only rewarding but down right fun at
times - especially if freed up to follow the leading of the Holy Spirit...
Next time you are in a crowded line at a check-out line at Christmas season,
and you see the strain on the faces of your fellow shoppers - Lowly yet
audibly start singing "Oh Come let us adore Him"!  O;>)
.... don't wait until Christmas - standing in the check-out at the local
grocery and hum a bar or two of Amazing Grace - and see if anyone
responds...  It's what I call - Give God an opportunity... See if He brings
others into dialogue...?  O;>)

Sorry I strayed and didn't even get around to thanking Nigel for opening up
and sharing...  You wrote a very nice post - thanking you...  Maybe we can
ask questions and springboard into more sharing w/ ya..  You would be open
to that?

BTW:  You are a British citizen?  Are you familiar w/ the Handle music
scored and played at the Crown's coronation?  Awesome - when you look past
the temporary!

JimP - kentucky