House Church Talk - Alexander Strauch on Biblical Eldership

Gary isa30 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 12 20:49:53 EDT 2004

Hi David,

I can understand the aspect of age in relation to the office as well as the
need to have more respect for age. But... I do believe that the age factor
is more aptly focused on age in the Lord. Can one be mature enough will an
experience-honed sense of biblical judgement ( Heb 5:14 But solid food is
for the mature, who because of practice have their senses trained to discern
good and evil.) and be comparitively young? Yes, but both experience and
common scriptural sense will show that to be the exception rather than the
rule. People are way too quick to point to Spurgeon as an example, yet
forget how incredibly intelligent, wise, and teachable he was.

At the same time, one cannot rely on age as a factor, especially when you
consider that most of the denominational liberalism, heresy, and apostacy of
the last century was not founded by the young, but by the older ones who
were seen and trusted as pillars of the church. The formation of the OPC and
PCA as institutional churches is a sad, but highly accurate example. The
young are not to be excused because of their age, but face it, the "old
guys" were the ones in charge.

Granted, the IC characteristics formed a significant contribution as did the
refusal to work with a biblical format for eldership, but thee we have it.

Perhaps this will move us to a greater dedication to a Biblically organic
form of sound words as well as to the Word itself and Himself.

Earnestly contending,

Gary

(Written using WindowEyes, the premier screenreading program from GW Micro
that makes PCs accessible to the blind and visually impaired.  Contact:
www.gwmicro.com)

"Preach not only so that the people can understand, but so that they cannot
misunderstand if they wish."  CH.Spurgeon

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the
full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the
schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but
against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this
darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist
in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm."  Ephesians
6:10-13