House Church Talk - Alexander Strauch on Biblical Eldership

Dan Beaty dlbeaty at copper.net
Wed Oct 13 12:20:23 EDT 2004

Gary,

Your post reminded me of this passage in Job:

Job 32:6  So Elihu son of Barakel the Buzite said: "I am young in years, and
you are old; that is why I was fearful, not daring to tell you what I know.
Job 32:7  I thought, 'Age should speak; advanced years should teach wisdom.'
Job 32:8  But it is the spirit in a man, the breath of the Almighty, that
gives him understanding.
Job 32:9  It is not only the old who are wise, not only the aged who
understand what is right.

KJV: Job 32:9  Great men are not always wise: neither do the aged understand
judgment.

I have heard the comparison made between spiritually mature and physically
mature. I am wondering if the NT church was mostly referring to those who
were both spiritually and physically mature. It seems that elders were
usually married men, able to manage a household well.

As you say, there is no guarantee that the older ones will not mislead. In
fact, this often happens. Our civil governments that were ordained by God
also fail.

The concept of leadership as taught by Christ and the apostles, if honored
would protect us much better than other systems. When the mature ones truly
seek to serve all, to be examples of humility and godliness, and when the
church at large and younger ones recognize those godly examples and emulate
them, Christ is truly glorified.

Errors arise usually from pride in our hearts. That is why Peter instructed
the elders to be clothed with humility. I believe those who are truly humble
before the Lord will find the necessary wisdom and understanding to correct
the more serious errors. And that very wisdom can come at times from the
younger ones.

Dan Beaty
Columbus, Ohio USA
www.livingtruth.com