House Church Talk - Alexander Strauch on Biblical Eldership

Dan Beaty dlbeaty at copper.net
Thu Oct 14 00:22:18 EDT 2004

Gary,

 You stated that few at the time of Paul's writing were Christians for over
20 years. You also state the importance of Sola Scriptura. Where in
Scripture do you find these statistics?

In any case, I believe that mature Christians were not all that scarce in
the early church. Many of Paul's gentile converts were already "God fearers"
who attended synagogue and were hungry for more of God. It would not be that
much of a stretch to expect that after hearing the Gospel and receiving
Christ they could mature rather quickly in the faith.

Among those Jews who did receive Christ it was quite possible that some were
deeply devoted to God already, and looking for the promises found in the OT.
These folks would have much wisdom and experience to offer the church in
their area.

It has been my observation that older people when converted to Christ have
much life experience to offer younger saints. Their experience combined with
the new and greater Light they receive from Christ would make them very
useful in a relatively short time, IMO.

Dan Beaty
Columbus, Ohio USA
www.livingtruth.com