House Church Talk - Alexander Strauch on Biblical Eldership

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Fri Oct 15 13:19:33 EDT 2004

>Hi David,
>
>I can understand the aspect of age in relation to the office as well as the
>need to have more respect for age. But... I do believe that the age factor
>is more aptly focused on age in the Lord.

    Hi to you, Gary, my friend,

I'm updating my laptop with new gear and have had some other major stuff
to deal with. Particularly 3 rear brake jobs, etc, etc. Sorry for the
tardy reply.

Thank you much for the thoughtful response. But you are losing me in the
first lines. Why do you refer to eldership as 'the office'? I realize
that most do, I am just inquiring as to why.

Obviously, age is not a reliable gauge of spiritual maturity in this
world nor in the world of bygone days. Several of the patriarchs messed
up in their later years. In NT times, as well, a prescription for
reproving elders is found which reminds us that older ones are not
infallible.

Strauch, btw, wrote an interesting book on the "New Testament Deacon." He
also believes they are "officers."

    your brother,

       David Anderson