House Church Talk - Alexander Strauch on Biblical Eldership

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 17 01:53:33 EDT 2004

Gary,

You wrote in part:

>I often wonder if the tremendous push toward whatever organizational
>structure that may exist in an IC is borne of 1 Samuel 8 -

Brother, I believe you have brought us to a key (if not THE KEY) passage in
scripture which gives the basic reasoning of men for replacing God's order
of leadership for man's!

I Sam.8 was used by the Lord in my own life and ministry over 25 years ago
to lead me out of the "pastorate" and into a search for genuine scriptural
church life.

Humanly, we see failure in others who "are supposed to " lead and then use
that as an excuse to choose leaders of the kind that are more pleasing to
ourselves than to God....primarily those who will shoulder the
responsibilities which we ourselves ought to share!!!  We also would humanly
prefer to follow  leaders whom we can see and control!

We forget that not one member of our physical bodies can see or control our
heads!!!! Our physical bodies (like the body of Christ) were designed with
the opposite purposes in view, i.e. that the head could see and control the
various members of the body!

Just a few thoughts that came to mind as you mentioned I Sam 8.

(Like fish, take whatever good you may glean and cast the bones aside!)

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce Woodford