House Church Talk - The Doctrines of Grace

Gary isa30 at verizon.net
Tue Oct 26 16:15:56 EDT 2004

I too would urge taking this "debate" off-list, especially when it has begun
with such a subjective and personal attack on anyone who holds to what the
Bible teaches as the doctrines of grace. I say this because how can one
argue with a message claimed to be from God and not be put in the position
of arguing with God Himself? How does one counter statements like "a
doctrine never found in Scripture", or "a doctrine foreign to Scripture"?
Lord, forgive him for he does not know what he is saying about you!

This is how... If anyone wants to open his Bible and study with me, fine, I
will be happy to take this off-list and teach/study/disciple on this
subject. I do not debate, because I have no desire to win anyone over to MY
point of view. It is my responsibility to hold to God's point of view but I
am happy to discuss and try and convince people of the truth. If they want
to do the SAME with me, fine, because while I do not believe I am wrong in
this case, we can't talk unless I am willing to listen to you and hear your
words. We may not end up agreeing, but hopefully we will remain as
brothers/sisters in Christ, or that you may become such if you are not
already..

I believe that the doctrines, or teachings of grace are what is taught
directly by the Bible. I was dead in the Spirit, but have been made alive by
the active decision of God to do so in grace. So has  everyone who is a
Christian, whether they know it or not. No, I do not speak of Calvinism, for
I am not a Calvinist. Neither am I what is called (as derisively) an
Arminian. I am a Christian who believes what is taught in the Bible, through
the working of the Holy Spirit, to hearts that were once as dead stones, but
have been made alive in Jesus Christ by the sovereign work of God.

Oddly enough, the house fellowship of the church is the ideal format by
which to deal with matters of this kind. Sermons can get you generally
convinced, but it is by dealing with questions with and open Bible and
concordance (or preferably with a computer Bible <grin>) that we can STUDY
the Scriptures to see if these things are so.

People with an interest in this subject may find the following link
interesting. Those who stand for truth should wield the sword of the Spirit,
and not the scythe of self righteousness.

http://www.christiancounterculture.com/40615/machen.html

Earnestly contending,

Gary

(Written using WindowEyes, the premier screenreading program from GW Micro
that makes PCs accessible to the blind and visually impaired.  Contact:
www.gwmicro.com)

"Preach not only so that the people can understand, but so that they cannot
misunderstand if they wish."  CH.Spurgeon

"When they say to you, "Consult the mediums and the spiritists who whisper
and mutter," should not a people consult their God? Should they consult the
dead on behalf of the living? To the law and to the testimony! If they do
not speak according to this word, it is because they have no dawn." (Isaiah
8:19-20)