House Church Talk - pastors and elders

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 6 04:44:07 EDT 2004

I'm not sure if I've shared the following contrasts between bakers and
shepherds here before. Please tell me if I have!

CONTRASTS BETWEEN: -BAKERS & SHEPHERDS and
                                   -CUSTOMERS & SHEEP:

1.WHERE AND HOW ARE THEY TRAINED?
-BAKERS are usually trained in schools of baking where they learn  the
recipes and techniques of that school's master bakers.
-SHEPHERDS are trained in the midst of the flock where they learn   by
following the CHIEF SHEPHERD and by caring for His sheep.   John 21:15-17;
Acts 20:28-37; I Peter 5:1-4

2.WHO CHOOSES WHOM?
-CUSTOMERS CHOOSE THEIR OWN BAKERS.  If they don't like "the goods" they
find another baker!

-THE OWNER OF THE SHEEP APPOINTS SHEPHERDS FOR HIS OWN SHEEP.  Sheep NEVER
hire or fire their own shepherds! John 21:15-17; Acts  20:28; I Peter 5:2,3

3.WHO IS BOSS?
-THE CUSTOMER IS THE BOSS.   The baker must please the customer!

-THE OWNER OF THE SHEEP IS "BOSS".    Shepherds must give account to HIM.
Hebrews 13:17

4.WHERE DO THEY WORK?
-BAKERS WORK IN THE HEAT OF THE BAKESHOP and "take heat" from irate
customers.

-SHEPHERDS WORK IN THE PASTURE and AMONG THE SHEEP. They lead sheep to green
pasture and still waters and they smell  like sheep! Psalm 23:1,2; John
21:15,17

5.WHO CALLS WHOM?
-CUSTOMERS CALL BAKERS.  -They call with orders and they call with
complaints.

-SHEPHERDS CALL SHEEP. -They lead them out to green pastures and in to the
fold. John 10:3

6.WHAT IS THEIR GREATEST THREAT?
-A BAKER'S GREATEST THREAT IS OTHER BAKERS, AND BAKERIES IN THE SAME
COMMUNITY. Competition puts little bakers out of business.

-A SHEPHERD'S GREATEST THREAT IS PREDATORS.  Lions, bears and wolves prey on
lambs, sheep and shepherds. I  Samuel 17:34-36; Psalm 23:5; Acts 20:29-31; I
Peter 5:8,9

7.WHAT IS THEIR WORK?
-BAKERS BAKE FOR THOSE WHO CANNOT OR WILL NOT FEED THEMSELVES.
  Bakers are experts at making bread, buns, cakes & cookies  according to
the customers' favourite recipes.

-SHEPHERDS LEAD SHEEP TO PASTURE AND PROTECT SHEEP FROM PREDATORS.
Shepherds NEVER PREPARE FOOD,(they cannot produce grass or milk!) But they
do lead sheep to well known pastures. The word translated  "feed" in John
21:15&17 means "to pasture".  The word translated
  "feed" in  John 21:16; Acts 20:28 & I Peter 5:2 means "to shepherd" or"to
tend sheep".

8.ON WHAT DIET DO THEY THRIVE?
-CUSTOMERS THRIVE ON BREAD, BUNS, CAKES & COOKIES.  Have no appetite to feed
in the pasture!

-SHEEP THRIVE ON THE MILK AND PASTURE OF THE WORD OF GOD. Will become weak
and sickly on baked goods! Psalm 23; Jeremiah  15:16; I Peter 1:23-2:2;
Acts 20:32

9.WHY DO THEY WORK?
-BAKERS BAKE FOR: A career, a business, their livelihood, or to make a name
for themselves.

-SHEPHERDS TEND SHEEP FOR:
   Love, satisfaction, joy and to be willing examples to sheep. Genesis
29:15-20; Isaiah 53:10-12; Hebrews 12:1,2; I Peter 5:2,3

10.WHAT IS THEIR REWARD?
  -BAKERS trade bread, buns, cakes and cookies for MONEY.

  -SHEPHERDS TEND SHEEP for love of a bride, for more sheep, and for a
crown! Genesis 29:20; 30:28-34; I Samuel 17:21-27: II Samuel   5:1-3; John
10;16; Ephesians 5:25; Hebrews 2:9; I Peter 5:1,4

11.HOW MANY WORK TOGETHER?
-BAKERS WORK BEST ALONE:  Assistants and sales clerks are hired but the
baking of bread,   buns, cakes and cookies is usually done by ONE
PROFESSIONAL BAKER.

-SHEPHERDS WORK BEST AS A GROUP:
  Caring for ONE FLOCK is  done best by A NUMBER OF SHEPHERDS who  know the
sheep because they  themselves have grown up as sheep in  the same flock.
Luke 2:8; Acts 20:17,28; I Corinthians 16:15,16;  I Peter 5:1

12.WHAT CERTIFICATES AND TITLES ARE GIVEN THEM?
  -BAKING SCHOOL GRADUATES receive a certificate, a title and wear clothes
which distinguish them as professional bakers.

  -SHEPHERDS are trained among sheep, not scholars; they don't graduate,
they graze sheep; they don't bear titles or wear uniforms, they bear sheep.
Job 32:21,22; Psalm 111:9; Luke 15:5,6

Trust these thoughts may be a help to someone.

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce