House Church Talk - inclination toward ceremonial

jesusislord343 at juno.com jesusislord343 at juno.com
Wed Sep 8 08:45:59 EDT 2004

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:16:24 +1000 Brad Cork <brad at peoplecare.org.au>
writes:
> do we try and do the deeds in our own strength because we have a list
of things we think we have to do ... or ... do we walk in the spirit and
find ourselves completeing the deeds as a result...

These are good thoughts, Brad.  Spirit-worked obedience flows from a
heart of love of the Lord Jesus Christ.  Though it is obedience to the
word of God in every detail, it is not legalism in any way, shape, or
form.  Legalism, by contrast, carries out the same things, yet out of
self-will, and with an impure heart motivation--in self-interest, and out
of a desire to earn (or keep) God's favor.

The saints of God "find themselves completing the deeds" of the word of
God because Jesus is at work in them both to will and to do for His good
pleasure (Php. 2:13).  The deeds have been ordained, "prepared
beforehand," for them to walk in (Eph. 2:10).

Grace in Christ,
Glenn S.