House Church Talk - inclination toward ceremonial

jesusislord343 at juno.com jesusislord343 at juno.com
Wed Sep 8 09:20:22 EDT 2004

8 ...Walk as children of light
9 (for the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness, righteousness, and
truth),
10 finding out what is acceptable to the Lord.

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:16:24 +1000 Brad Cork <brad at peoplecare.org.au>
writes:
> if we are truly led by the spirit we will fulfill traditions and
customs that are required as well...
---------------------------

Amen, Brad.  The verses above from Ephesians 5 provide us with a biblical
definition of what you have been speaking of--that to "walk in the
Spirit" is to "find out what is acceptable to the Lord."  This means that
we will not remain the same people we were apart from Jesus--numerous
radical changes in attitudes and actions on our part are going to be
required of us.

"Finding out what is acceptable to the Lord" is not a mystical experience
which varies from individual to individual, with some going one direction
and others the opposite, as supposedly "led of the Spirit."  Rather, the
"finding out" is a work of the indwelling Holy Spirit to work repentance
in our lives in all areas.  For a woman, for example, it is learning by
the Spirit *from the word of God* to have a quiet and gentle spirit (I
Pet. 3), to be a keeper at home (Tit. 2), to cover her head (I Cor. 11),
to raise children (I Tim. 5), to remain silent in the assembly times (I
Cor. 14), and to dress modestly (I Tim. 2)--and various other things
which are virtually unthinkable to our rebellious western culture.  None
of these things come naturally--in fact they defy the course of nature.
None of them "seem right" to us--but the word of God reveals them as His
perfect will which we will learn as we, by the Spirit, offer our bodies
as living sacrifices to God (Rom. 12:1-2).

"I will run the course of Your commandments for You shall enlarge my
heart." (Ps. 119:32)

"Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us,
and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,
looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith, who for the joy
set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down
at the right hand of God.
For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself,
lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls." (Heb. 12:1-3)

Grace in Christ,
Glenn S.