House Church Talk - inclination toward ceremonial

Dan Beaty dlbeaty at copper.net
Wed Sep 8 11:25:28 EDT 2004

Brad,

Thanks for the response. You are probably right in that we are not that far
apart.

My background in my mother's family included preoccupation with outward
appearances, not going to the movies etc. My mom was not afraid, however to
wear slacks, which some churches called "men's apparal."

I have seen both extreme ends of the spectrum in my lifetime. But in spite
of the many rules, rituals and ceremonies put upon believers in some
circles, I have also seen intense love for the Lord and His people
abounding.

My take on the NT is that since we are in the Spirit, we can obey the words
of the Lord as we best understand them. Ideally, we will be found
spontaneously doing the will of God from the heart, but if there was no need
for direction, the NT would have not even have needed to be written.

So, when I read, "Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus,"
I understand that this is something I can do because His Spirit is in me to
empower me. I do not have to do it in my own strength. Given each one's
level of progress and growth, we can all obey Him and His words -- unless we
resist or doubt them.

Sadly, today the average expectations are so low that drug, alcohol and
other addictions continue to hold on to many in churches. In my experiences
working with homeless shelters and church-based programs, I have seen a
disturbing complacency in that area.

The answer as I see it for them and us as well is not stronger enforcement
of rules, but a stronger Gospel message. "We can do all things through
Christ Who strengthens us!"

Dan Beaty
Columbus, Ohio
www.livingtruth.com