House Church Talk - Real Christians

Glenn Frank glennfrank at earthlink.net
Sat Sep 11 10:43:27 EDT 2004

On 9/11/04 2:39 AM, "Phillip Cohen" <spiritfilledhome at juno.com> wrote:
> It's time for us to stop spending entire days, weeks, and months hanging
> out at Mars Hill, discussing all the latest twists of every doctrine.
> It's time for us to get out there and do Christianity.

I agree Phillip...

It is time for us to "move on to Corinth", like Paul did after his Mars Hill
experience, and resolve to know nothing while we are there except Jesus
Christ and him crucified.

As Paul recounts his visit to Corinth some time later in his first letter to
them...

1 Corinthians 2
When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior
wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to
know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I
came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my
preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration
of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom,
but on God's power.

If my chronology is right... Paul went to Corinth after his Mars Hill
experience in Athens and after arguing with the philosophers who thought it
"interesting" to talk about things like the resurrection of the dead and how
all the details of that would work... And after only a few were saved in
spite of this intellectual exercise... Paul goes to Corinth and RESOLVES to
not get into that kind of arguing with philosophers again... He chooses to
know only Jesus and to preach only Him and His crucifixion. He goes back to
the basics to just doing what he is called to do and being what he is called
to be.

We should too.

Glenn F.