House Church Talk - An old message brought to the light

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Thu Sep 16 23:34:58 EDT 2004

Good to see Jeff Logan again. Hiya Jeff! I've missed you.

I just recalled reading this email from several years ago. I do a lot of
trailering myself so I guess that's why I remembered it. Enjoy!

               David Anderson

     Greetings brother David,

I was so glad to receive your email. Yes, I am still at this address but
I am now living in Richmond, Virginia, instead of Bakersfield,
California.

We just pulled in tonight after driving the last stretch from Nashville
to Richmond -- over 500 miles. Wow! what an experience. We even had an
accident on the way but no one was hurt. We ended up leaving our trailer
in Arizona at my wife's uncle's house and coming on without it. The Jeep
hit the guard rail at 70+ mph and the trailer flipped on its side but
thanks to God's mercy it was still drivable after the accident. It did
not flip! The air bags didn't even deploy. The front bumper was scraped
up and the rear lift gate was dented (by the trailer tongue) but no
fluids leaked out and none of the lights were broken. The whole
experience was such a testimony to God's protection that even Sue's uncle
had to comment that God was looking out for us. Truly it was my mistake
but God turned it into a revelation of His mercy and care.

Any way... we are here now at our destination. Now, to find work and a
home.

We had just left Uncle Jay's house and about 7 miles down the road the
trailer started to sway gently back and forth. I tried applying the
brakes (I have trailer brakes, too) but the sway did not go away. Most
unusual! I was going about 60 mph at the time. Then I remembered that
someone had told me to apply gas to pull it out of the sway. I did this
for a short burst but it was still swaying -- wagging the tail of the
Jeep from left to right. Just then the road began a steep decent and slow
turn to the right. Afraid to go any faster I let my foot off the gas.
When I did this the trailer sway increased dramatically until the Jeep
was going from the right lane to the left and back -- repeatedly. I had
now lost control. I cried out to God to help me. I soon had grace peace
in my heart. The Jeep then headed sharply right and toward the guard rail
as though I was driving at nearly a 90 degree angle to the roadway. As
the Jeep struck the rail the trailer must have swung around behind and
gone in front of the Jeep pulling the rear end around. The Jeep slide a
few feet down the rail with the bumper locked against the rail. The front
license plate was torn off by the bolts on the guard rail and was found
crumpled and still attached to the rail -- being held in place by the
bolt heads. The only thing we can figure is that while the Jeep was held
upright by the contact with the rail the trailer flipped over and slide
along the asphalt. This must have kept the Jeep from flipping over from
the tremendous force of the twisting which left the receiver hitch
tweaked and the ball bent. The chain never broke and the trailer must
have snatched the Jeep off the guard rail, dragging it backwards down the
hiway and away from the rail just at the proper moment in time so as to
absorb all of the inertia of the impact with the rail.

There I was sitting upright in the Jeep facing the wrong direction with
the trailer still attached behind me yet further ahead of me -- so to
speak. The whole incident will cost me over $1200.00 once I pay my car,
trailer, and household deductibles, plus a traffic citation of over
$100.00 for traveling too fast to maintain control of the trailer. The
speed limit for trailers was 75 but I was originally going 60 mph before
my manuvere to attempt to gain control.

Any way, the main thing I want to bring out is that I had lost control.
There was nothing I could do to control that situation. Had God not
intervened and sent angels to guide that Jeep and trailer during those
critical moments we could have been injured or killed. I fully expected
that the Jeep would not be drivable. But after using a little wire to
hold the headlights in their proper attitude we continued on some 2100
miles without any problems. The trailer blews two tires but sustained
only minor damage. Nothing spilt out of the cargo box and none of the
boxes of delicate glassware we were carrying was chipped or broken. One
fishing pole was broke because of the weight shifting to the rear and a
concrete ring which holds a water fountain was broken into 5 pieces. We
will find out later if anything else was broken. But as I said, the
glassware on the side of impact was not broken. We opened several fragile
boxes and everything was fine. What a miraculous thing!

Any way, again, we will see what the Lord has for me in Virginia. I am so
thankful that through this very trying time my wife and uncle both are
praising God. They can see the hand of God in all of this. They both said
what I was thinking inside -- God has stopped you here where you have
someone to help you and to keep your stuff. What would have happened if
the winds in Oklahoma had flipped the trailer? My uncle pulled the
trailer home with his big crewcab truck and he remarked that the trailer
was heavy even for his truck. He seemed to think that the trailer
out-weighed the Jeep considerably. He marveled that we made it as far as
we did. The Jeep only weighs about 3800 lbs and we estimated the trailer
at about 4500 lbs. I had absolutely no trouble pulling that trailer
through Los Angeles, San Bernardino, the desert and on until I tried to
leave Benson, Arizona.

Well, this is quite a bit. I better end. Please write and tell me how you
all are doing. Especially that new baby.

May God richly bless you,

Jeff Logan

PS. I hope to rejoin HC*talk very soon. But I don't even have my computer
yet. It is still in Arizona. You know, I have really leared a lot from
the folks on HC*talk. Not so much that they taught me things directly,
but they caused me to rethink some of my theology, or doctrines. I am
getting a much clearer picture of faith and grace. Though I have left the
sandy soils of self-reliance I have not gone to the other extreme. I am
finding such a sweet and perfect balance between grace and faith. I hope
to share it with others soon, once I have put a few scriptures together.
One focal scripture is Romans 5:1 -- "Therefore, being justified by
faith, we have peace with God through our Lord, Jesus Christ." This is a
crucial text. It speaks volumes. Especially when you tie it in with
Romans 9 and 10 where the Holy Spirit uses Paul to write about the
righteousness that the Jews sought from the law, apart from the
righteousness of God, which is by faith. Take care.

With fond affection for a brother in Christ.
Jeff.