House Church Talk - Re: Real Christians

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 22 20:51:24 EDT 2004

Hi Glenn,

In your response to Dan you made a very interesting closing observation:
>It is also interesting to note that no church seems to be mentioned in
>Athens...
>But one grows in Corinth (albeit a slightly dysfunctional one!)

Quite a few years ago as I studied the ministry of various men in the Book
of Acts and compared ministry which resulted in established churches and
those which did not, I made this observation:

In EVERY city where 2 or more men went to preach the gospel as a
co-operative enterprise, there were ALWAYS churches established. However in
the Book of Acts, there is NOT EVEN ONE city where just ONE MAN WENT ALONE
where a church was ever established. (i.e Peter went alone to Lydda and
Joppa, some were healed and some were saved, but we never read of churches
in those places. Paul went alone to Athens, some were saved but we do not
see any evidence of a church in Athens.)  It seems that there were very good
reasons for the Lord Jesus to send his disciples out two by two!  As members
in the body with unique gifts and abilities, God's way is always to promote
co-operative ministry of a plurality of "team players" rather than promoting
the single "star performer" mentality in Christian ministry.

Does any one else have any thoughts or observations in this regard?

Bruce