House Church Talk - I'm Disappointed

Gary isa30 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 28 16:01:46 EDT 2004

So how does work to see if one of these things should be pursued? I
understand that prayer is the prime necessity, but is this done with a core
group of people who are of similar orientation or what? It would seem that
the (pardon the expression) "standard" means of church planting (that is,
drag in anything that even looks like a nominal Christian and start "acting"
like a church) would be less than effective. (smile)

Please forgive anything that may appear asa tone of challenge, for such is
NOT my intention. my family and I have just come off of 25 years of what can
legitimately be called abusive shurches. Right now we are attending and
participating to a small extent, a LARGE seeker sensitive church simply to
have a place to go and have contact with others. There is not an ice cube's
chance in the lake of fire that we would join it. The people are not bad,
but why start the cycle all over again? It's easier to stay anonymous and
see what the Lord, rather than man has in mind.

I am in the process of studying the house church concept. I have no desire
to rebound into something else without being as cerrtain as I can about it's
Biblicity. This is not to say that I am suspicious, only cautious.

I had moved out to the midwest eight years ago to go to seminary and prepare
for what I now understand to be a conventional, or civil, or "habitual"
pastorate. I love the Word of the Lord and believe the doctrines of grace as
coming from that Word. I would ask your prayers for my study and the health
of my family as we get back into the Bible. I'll tell you, seminary is the
worst place to learn more of the Bible - I never studied it less than during
my two years there.

Earnestly contending,

Gary

(Written using WindowEyes, the premier screenreading program from GW Micro
that makes PCs accessible to the blind and visually impaired.  Contact:
www.gwmicro.com)

"Preach not only so that the people can understand, but so that they cannot
misunderstand if they wish."  CH.Spurgeon

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the
full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the
schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but
against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this
darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist
in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm."  Ephesians
6:10-13