House Church Talk - Aspects of caution

Gary isa30 at verizon.net
Tue Sep 28 22:31:32 EDT 2004

Hi Dan,

I have only a few minutes to write, but ----

You wrote-

"Your respect for the Written Word should help you greatly. The greatest
danger I have encountered in HC circles is the devaluation of the
Scriptures. In some circles feelings and opinions dominate, as well as the
modern notion of "no absolutes.""

I appreciate the compliment, but I have found the very same things that you
said you've encountered in HC circles as the primary reason why I have left
the institutionalized church. Not to mention that any departure from the
word will cause what you have described and far worse. My tendencies still
lean toward a quasi-creedal beginning; not to replace or diminish the
Scriptures in ANY way, (may God forbid) but as a simple "form of sound
words". TYhis would only be shown or dealt with as what the Scriptures teach
and not, as the Presbyterians are so fond of clinging to, "a subordinate
standard". I personally don't want to teach or hold to ANY standard that
cannot be clearly and immediately shown to be the clear teaching of the
Bible.

I am presently writing a book about the need to reform the church's hold on
the Biblical foundation of salvation, as well as the reasons that the five
solas are fully scriptural. Long project, but a lot of fun. I would be
interested in hearing more from you.

Earnestly contending,

Gary

(Written using WindowEyes, the premier screenreading program from GW Micro
that makes PCs accessible to the blind and visually impaired.  Contact:
www.gwmicro.com)

"Preach not only so that the people can understand, but so that they cannot
misunderstand if they wish."  CH.Spurgeon

"Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of His might. Put on the
full armor of God, so that you will be able to stand firm against the
schemes of the devil. For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but
against the rulers, against the powers, against the world forces of this
darkness, against the spiritual forces of wickedness in the heavenly places.
Therefore, take up the full armor of God, so that you will be able to resist
in the evil day, and having done everything, to stand firm."  Ephesians
6:10-13