House Church Talk - zealously affected

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Sun Nov 2 13:18:38 EST 2003

      HI all,

Young folks are not taught much history any more, some say. Likewise,
good literature is becoming more and more scarce unless you dig around
for it.

Here's a very unusual piece that emphasizes how Christians can learn zeal
from others. Just one caveat: In the 1600's, the word "religion" simply
meant one's relationship with God and had nothing to do with the
overtones of Phariseeism which is now attached to it by modern
word-benders.

       The Husbandman

Religion	WHEN advanc¹d in pow¹r,
Will make you HUSBAND every hour.

'Twill make	MEN strive with all their might,
And therein	FIND a sweet delight.

If there were	NOUGHT besides that pay
Christ gives	TO cheer us in our way;

Should we not DO the best we can?
For there¹s	NO such reward from man.

Shall others	WORK, and not regard
Their strength TO get a small reward?

Whilst we	TURN slugs, and loiter thus?
O that	THEIR zeal might quicken us.

Why are our	HANDS, and feet so slow,
When we	UNTO our business go?

How can we	THEN Christ¹s pay expect,
And yet the	CHRISTIANS work reject,

If this, then	ALSO that embrace
Them both;	IF not, we both disgrace.

Some if	THEY could these two divide,
'Twould	PLEASE them well, with Christ to side

But if they	MAY not, then it were
As good	CEASE pleading, they¹ll not hear:

Rouse up	FROM sloth, my soul betake
Thee to thy	WORK, no cavils make.

O strive,	AND try Saints say that even,
The pain they	TAKE, hath much of heaven.

But yet	THEIR best wine¹s kept till last,
Their rest, and	EASE comes all so fast.

    John Flavel

Now, read the capitalized words in each line down the page for an extra
message in timely rhyme. An important message, btw, as uninformed and
lazy persons still desire all the rewards of Jesus without his cross. I
am also tempted to behave in such a way.

Phil. 2:12-13 Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed ‹not
only in my presence, but now much more in my absence ‹continue to work
out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in
you to will and to act according to his good purpose.

Rom. 8:13 For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through
the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

Luke 13:24 Strive to enter in at the strait gate: for many, I say unto
you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able.

      David Anderson