House Church Talk - Two Good Legs

goodwordusa at att.net goodwordusa at att.net
Mon Nov 17 12:19:50 EST 2003

I will never forget the Sunday morning in 1995 when I visited a little
Mennonite church in Indiana.  A man got up in the pulpit and quoted from a
Barbara Streisand song, "People who need people are the luckiest people in
the world..."  I remember shaking my head in disgust, thinking that such weak
comments had no place in a gathering of God's people.  People need God's
Word, not the proverbs of mortal men.

And I guess I would still say something along those lines.  However, the Lord
does teach us as the people of God that we truly do need each other.

If we are fortunate to have an averagely good family, we may learn that
lesson at home.  It can be more difficult to learn such lessons as an adult,
in the extended family of Christ's body, if we've never understood these
things while growing up.  And I suspect that the weakness of home-life is
behind some of the problems facing today's church.

I have two sons.  And like many siblings they were rivals in many ways, being
very close in age, and very different in personality.  They are grown men
now, with children of their own.  And they've not been very close as adults,
still competing, I suppose, for whatever it is they are after in life.

My youngest son is in the Navy, and has also served 4 years in the Marines.
My oldest is an over-the-road truck driver.  Both of them have had their good
times and their bad times.  In recent years, my younger son, Caleb, has
suffered from recurring kidney stones that have caused him severe pain and
many treatments at the hands of military-approved physicians.  And in the
last month, my older son, Josh, has been diagnosed with cancer, a strain of
lymphoma that offers good hope for a cure in time.

Through their illnesses the Lord has taught them to cry out to Him.  In
weakness they've been forced to see their need of God.  And with my oldest
son's present crises with cancer, they are beginning to see how much they
appreciate each other, and how they can each draw strength from the other's
faith in the Lord.  The Lord uses each one to urge the other to depend on Him
for help and strength.

The chastening of the Lord in our lives brings good results.  And one of the
good results in my son's lives is that they have seen their need of God
Himself, and they also now see the value of having each other as family, as
brothers.  The Lord is good.

I was inspired by my sons' recent growth and interaction to write a little
story.  I call it "Two Good Legs."  It follows below.

Two Good Legs
[This story is for a couple of bears named Josh & Caleb who blessed my heart
by learning to share their hearts with each other.]

Elber and Yonty were born 7 winters back to a young grizzly she-bear in
Northwestern Montana.  Like all such cubs, they had the odds against them
from the first.

Elber was a little darker along the shoulders than Yonty.  And both had the
misfit mentality of grizzly cubs the first couple of years.  It was a real
wonder that either of them survived, not knowing two things about fishing,
berry hunting or even how to avoid bee stings while robbing honey.  Against
all those odds stacked against them, they nevertheless grew stronger and
taller.

After a while they were able to leave the momma bear behind.  They were
figuring out how and where to fish.  They learned how to try and stand taller
and yell louder than the other males whenever they were confronted.  They
learned when and where to sleep when winter overtook them.  They figured out
where the berries were and how to snatch them before the humans got to them.
They each learned how to scare up a rabbit and other wild game.

This is not to say they were any smarter, faster, or better at hunting than
other bears their age.  They were grizzlies, after all, and grizzlies are not
known for being wise.  Grizzlies are known for being big and strong, for
having a bad disposition, and for scaring the crap out of people who stumble
onto them.

Last spring Elber ran into a clearing and surprised a poacher who was out for
moose.  Elber was as surprised as the illegal hunter, and so he just did as
he always did when confronted like that, he stood up tall and yelled really
loud.  The hunter peed on himself, shot Elber in the left foot, then threw
down the gun and ran for all he was worth.  I think he ran past New York City
by now and is still running.

When the noise and gunpowder had cleared the air, Elber was still trying to
understand what had happened.  It took a while for him to understand that his
foot was really hurting.  At such close range, the rifle bullet had gone
clear through the foot, breaking a couple of small bones in passing.  The
pain was a blazing fire that would not go away.  Elber limped down to the
stream, in a mood that was dark even for a grizzly.  In the cold mountain
water, the bear found a little numbing relief, but not much.

Yonty did not live or roam anywhere near his brother, Elber.  Grizzly
families tend not to hang together a lot.  So he didn't know anything about
Elber's run-in with the poacher.  But a few days later while he was crossing
a high mountain road, minding his own business, a Jeep came out of nowhere
and ran right into him.  It was good for both the bear and the driver that
the road was rough and twisting, I guess.  The Jeep was going a lot slower
than it would’ve been on a nice straight road.

Still, the front of the Jeep was messed up pretty bad, the airbag broke the
driver's nose, and Yonty's right leg was fractured.  A lot of pain even for a
grizzly bear.  More pain than the bear had ever known, in fact.  And the pain
was renewed with every step Yonty tried to take.  Still, he managed to mostly
drag himself down to the river where the rainbow trout and steelhead lived.

At the river, Yonty moaned aloud with his pain.  He could not tell if the
cold water made anything better or not.  But he kept trying it, since it was
all he had.  Wading out to a wide, shallow place, he sat down in the water.

All he could think about was the pain.  It really hurt.  When he moved, it
hurt.  When he sat still, it hurt.  If he stood up, it hurt.  So he just sat
there and the fish swam way around him, staying clear of those sharp front
claws.

A day or so later, Yonty was laying on the river bank, swiping at fish now
and again.  He was hungry.  His leg still hurt, but he was getting used to
it, as long as he didn’t try to stand or walk.  He could not walk, and
running was out of the question, so hunting or moving to a better fishing
spot were not options.

A noise behind him made him look, and there was another grizzly, as big and
angry-looking as he was, except that he had darker markings along the
shoulders.  Both bears instinctively rose up and growled really loud, and
then both yelled in pain and bent over quickly.

Elber grabbed his left foot which was shooting fireballs of pain up his whole
left side.  The wound was pretty dirty and had swelled up quite a bit.  Yonty
rubbed his right leg, which did nothing to make it feel any better.  Both
bears tried to stand and yell again, and both bowed down again right away in
pain.  They did this several times like some kind of crazy war dance.

Then they finally recognized each other.

"Hello, Brother." Elber said, sitting on the ground and holding his sore foot
in his forepaws.

"Hi, Elber." Yonty said. "What brings you over to the this part of the river?"

"On my way to the honey tree in the south valley.  I need to get some honey
in this hole in my foot." Elber said.  "What's with you?  Your leg hurt?"

"One of those stupid human shiny-things hit me the other day.  It still hurts
a lot.  Slowing me down."  Yonty said.

Elber looked at his brother grizzly and could see that the pain was very
bad.  He said, "I know where some bushes are with leaves that will help that
pain.  That will get you by until your leg gets better.  In fact, the bushes
are not far from the honey tree."

"How do you do that?" Yonty asked. "You always seem to know just where to
find the right stuff for any occasion."

Elber gruffed a smile, still rubbing his left foot.  It was true.  Elber did
know a lot about some things.  He always seemed to run into good things here
and there. And he learned by watching other animals eat this or that, or do
this or that, when they had different needs.  It was his way.

After a bit he said, "Well, why don't you come with me, Brother?"

"I'd like to, Elber.  But I can't stand to walk at all."  Yonty said.  He
hated to admit to his brother that he was that bad off.  But why try to hide
it?  Yonty was not able to walk.

"Oh, I don’t know.  Maybe you can," Elber said.  "Between us, we still have
two good feet, and two good legs.  In the Creator's goodness, He did not let
us both get hurt on the same sides."

And moving over to his brother's right side, Elber reached out and placed his
arm under Yonty's arm, lifting a little.  The two brothers held each other up
as best they could and managed to hobble off across the clearing and over the
hill.  As they went along, they got better and better at walking together.

"Hey, Elber, I know a great fishing hole over there, just south of your honey
tree valley." Yonty said.

"Oh yeah?" Elber realized suddenly just how hungry he was.  "That sounds
good.  How do you always manage to know where the best food is?”

"Oh, I know some things."  Yonty said, smiling as much as any grizzly can.

And humming an old bear tune, the two grizzlies hobbled off into the
afternoon.

Jim