House Church Talk - Bob Bowen/prayers for the Kline's

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Mon Nov 17 11:11:32 EST 2003

>Bob Bowen,
>i would love to hear a little about the HC in Fairfield Ohio.  It has
>been my privilege to be a part of two different house churches.  They were both
>similar, yet different.  One was in Tennessee, and the other in Iowa.
>What is the one you meet with like?  How many families.  Are there many
>children?  What are there ages?  Do you live close to each other?  Do
>any members have to travel far to meet with you?  How often do you get
>together?

    Hi Debbie, hi Bob,

Sister, so good to hear from you and of your trust in God during this
difficult hour for your whole family.

Fairfeid, OH sounds so familiar. I am sure I have been through there.

Bob, I did see several web links to home church sites on the emerging
church sites.

You are surely aware that your relatives played an important role in
early American history. The house, mentioned below, in Tazwell County is
one I used to frequent in the course of my employment as a delivery truck
driver. From this account it appears that "forgetting the password" is
nothing new. Read on.

William, b. 1742; was a Capt. in the VA militia and was to have lead the
Campbell riflemen on that faitful trip to King's Mountain in N.C., in Aug
of 1780. But due to illness, he was delayed and his older brother, famed
Indian fighter, Lt. Rees Bowen took over for him. Historically, I'm sure
you know the outcome of the Battle of King's Mountain, that faitful day,
Oct. 7th, 1780. It was the decisive battle, that finally turned the tide
for the fledgling nation of ours. The description can be found in "King's
Mountain, and it's Heros" by Draper:

These wonderful mountain men of VA., fresh from their battles with
Indians, dressed in buckskin, hair long, feather's on the ends of their
rifles, came whooping and hollering with a combination of Indian War
whoops and Highland battle cries that scared the daylights out of the
British troops, waiting on King's mountain. They were routed so badly
that they never did recoup.

Lt. Rees Bowen was killed, William Bowen when hearing his brother was
downed, went crazy, running to find his brother hoping that it was not to
late. As he ran to where his brother had fallen, a sentry yelled,
demanding the password of the day. William so distraught, couldn't make
sense of what the man was yelling and actually forgot the password. When
they were about to shoot it out, an officer, recognizing William grabbed
him, bringing him back to his senses. They hugged, grateful for not
having to shoot each other, but distraught about finding his brother.
When Rees was found, it was to late, he had died, the only son of 13
children to be lost in an actual battle, fought in the Rev. War. Years
before, while on patrol, his baby brother Moses Bowen, died of a simple
flesh wound, received in the field. It seems while washing the wound, it
was done with river water that had not been boiled and he developed a
fever, from which he died in 1776.

So, of a family of 13 children, 8 boys and 5 girls, all had made it to
adulthood, only 2 were lost in wars, fought in settling the colonies. All
eight sons served in the Militia, all were considered Revolutionary War
heroes and are on the list's as Patriot's for membership to the DAR and
SAR, including this fascinating family's mother, Lillian McIllhaney
Bowen. During the War years, Lillian gave money, supplies and opened her
home to the wounded. Lillian died just 2 months before her beloved son
Rees, in 1780, in Washington CO., VA. Her son had been one of the first
settlers in S.W.VA., and a founding father of Tazewell CO., VA. Rees's
homestead, "Fort Maiden Spring's", which became "Maiden Spring's Farm" is
still in existence and has had a "Rees Bowen" in residence for over 250
years. The homestead is located in the Upper Clinch Valley, Tazewell CO.,
VA. He left 8 small children upon his death. It's said that one of the
reasons that William moved on, was the crushing loss of his brother Rees.
They were a remarkable close family, and remain so to this day.

http://freepages.history.rootsweb.com/~bowen/reesbowen.html

That aside, can we please join together and approach the Throne of the
Great Physician on behalf of Tom Kline. We cannot completely settle our
doctrinal issues on this forum but we can and should agree in prayer
concerning Tom's need to have his mental abilities restored. Thanks!

    David Anderson