House Church Talk - writing about HC to folks in IC's

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 8 23:03:26 EDT 2003

Hi Folks,
Have any of you had any opportunity to discuss house church issues with
folks you know in IC's?  Could you share some of those comunications here?

About 7 years ago, I was writing back and forth with a brother (let's call
him "Brother A.") from a circle of assemblies of which we had been a part
for many years but  had left. I had become convinced that "breaking bread"
in scripture was simply the dividing of food into portions prior to eating
it at ordinary meals and that, in doing so, we were to remember the Lord. He
was not at all prepared to acknowledge this. In his last letter to me at the
time he said that the Lord had blessed such assemblies as his in many
countries which remembered the Lord in assembly meetings every "Lord's Day"
as each saint took a tiny piece of bread from a common loaf and a sip of
wine from a common cup and he was satisfied that to do so was to follow the
Lord's appointed way.  He said that if I could testify of the Lord's
blessing in a similar or greater way upon gatherings of the Lord's people
who remembered the Lord in full meals, he would be willing to reconsider the
matter.

At the time, I knew almost nobody else who believed in "communion" in the
context of full meals so I had nothing further to write to this brother. But
after being involved in house churches for over two years and learning of
countless others who have remembered the Lord in full meals together, I
recently wrote back to this brother telling him so.

He replied, in part, as follows:

Dear Brother Bruce,
Thanks for your recent letter. I sensed the enthusiasm in your letter as you
wrote it. I have heard about these "house churches" over the last few months
from different sources, but have not had the opportunity to actually sit
down and talk to anyone about them. As a result of my sheer ignorance, I
have a number of questions that I would like to ask you, knowing that you
will give me detailed, careful, scriptural answers. Some people I would not
trust to give me such answers, but I think I know you well enough to know
that you will answer me that way!

Regarding such gatherings, I have been in places before (mainly on the
mission field) where the assembly met in a private home, mainly because
there was no other accomodation available or the assembly was so small that
it could not afford another building. This is not unusual. We also routinely
communicate with two missionary couples in Hong Kong who go into China all
the time. They speak of at least 30,000 house churches in that great nation,
and there is much persecution unless you identify with the "established"
government-approved church.

Because no one has ever spoken to me from a scriptural perspective about
these places, please help me to answer the following questions:

(1)How do elders and deacons function there and how are they identified?

(2)How does the obedience, submission and leadership of Heb.13:17 manifest
itself in such a group?

(3)How is discipline administered?  (Matt.18:15-17, I Corinthians 5,  I
Timothy 5:19-20)

(4)Is the women's head covering insisted on at these gatherings? (I
Cor.11:3-16)

(5)Are women silent in the gatherings?  (I Corinthians 14:34,  I Timothy
2:11-12)

(6)When you are sharing a "full meal together", how do you distinguish
between the saved and the unsaved?  Do unsaved visitors and/or children
partake equally?

(7)What is your understanding of  I Corinthians 11:20-22?

(8)What are the criteria for admission into the fellowship of this group?
(Acts 2:38-42)

(9)Have these people left their previous gatherings for positive scriptural
reasons, or because they were dissatisfied, disgruntled or discontented?

Thanks for the opportunity to chat again. I look forward to your answers.

Your brother in Christ,

I responded as follows:

Dear Brother A,

It was certainly good to hear from you today!

I am so glad that you have asked some excellent questions about house church
gatherings!

I will do my best to answer your questions from my very limited experience
in house churches the last couple of years and from corresponding with many
others who are in similar gatherings.

1. Elders and deacons in house churches are recognized by scriptural
qualifications set out in I Tim.3, Titus 1, Acts 6, I Cor.16:15,16 etc.  and
seek to function according to such instructions as are found in Acts 20 etc.

2.Just a few observations before answering your questions on Heb.13:17:

Re. "obedience" and Heb.13:17, the word is an unfortunate translation. It is
usually translated "persuaded", "trusted", "have confidence" etc.

Re. "rule"...this too is an unfortunate translation required by King James
who wanted to keep control over the churches through the "clergy"!  This
word too is most often translated by such words as "esteem", "think",
"judge", "count" or "account".

Re. the word "over", as in "rule over" finds no equivalent at all in the
Greek text!

Re. the word "submit", it is found nowhere else in the N.T. and means to
"surrender" or "yield to".

So rather than such leaders being "over" any of the people of God, such a
concept is foreign to scripture and contrary to the pattern for church
leadership explained by the Lord Jesus is Luke 22:25-27!

Church leaders are not to "rule" anyone, but are to serve! The pattern of
their service is to be that of the youngest child in a household or that of
a household slave!  Neither have any authourity to tell anybody what to do,
or what they cannot do!  But both can exercise great influence on others BY
THEIR OWN EXAMPLE!

So realizing these things, saints observe others in home gatherings. They
have the opportunity to see what people are really like and when they
observe men who serve with a humble spirit, who do not attempt to "lord it
over God's clergy" (I Peter 5:3), but are rather "addicted to the service of
the saints" I Cor.16:15, it is to such that they gladly and willingly
"surrender". It is such servant leaders whose humble and faithful demeanor
"persuades" the saints, earns their "trust" and gains their "confidence."

3.Re. discipline and Matt.18, I Cor 5 and I Tim.5... I have not yet seen a
situation in our two years of being involved in house churches where I Cor.5
or I Tim 5 discipline was necessary.  However we have seen people seek to
carry out Matt.18 steps regarding personal trespasses. But as in most
churches/assemblies/ congregations we have had associations with over the
years, we have found that the vast majority of believers in any gathering
often choose to ignore or disregard the Matt.18 instructions and we have
seen great havock wreaked wherever these instructions are ignored and people
take things into their own hands, speak to people who are not part of the
problem or part of the solution but refuse to speak personally and in
private to the ones they ought to!

4. Re. insistence that women's heads be covered in the gatherings...
Such insistence is without any scriptural ground whatsoever!  Women's heads
are to be covered NOT IN GATHERINGS PER CE, but whenever they pray or
prophesy!  This passage of scripture has been so abused in so many circles
and where such "insistence" is the norm, I have never yet met any sisters
who could scripturally explain why they did what they did!!!  To make
"compliance in gatherings" a requirement for fellowship in a gathering is
totally unfounded in scripture!  If such insistence IS made, those who
"insist" must be consistent and "insist" on uncut hair as well!!!  But such
insistence and the accompanying sanctions against those who do not comply,
almost makes it impossible for any sister to respond to such instructions
constrained simply by the love of Christ.  My wife often has sisters inquire
about her head covering when she prays or prophesies, and as the subject has
arisen in our gatherings,  or in personal conversations, I have given
teaching on the subject. But I see no scriptural ground for compelling
compliance with this or any other scriptural instruction  which is not
accompanied with specific sanctions. (Examples of such sanctions for
specific behaviours would be found in I Cor.5:9-13 and II Thess.3:11-15)

5. Re. the silence of sisters in the gatherings (I Cor.14 and I Tim.2)
I Cor.14:34 and 35 teaches that women are not to speak in gatherings of the
WHOLE CHURCH. (v.23). The first Corinthian epistle was addressed to "the
church of God at Corinth" which included every saint in that city. See 1:2.
So the "whole church come together into one place" of 14:23 is a city wide
gathering of all the saints in the city.  Such gatherings were common new
covenant events in the first century. See Acts 2:46a;  6:2-5; 15:12-22 etc.
(See the "whole church" specificly mentioned in Acts 15:22.)

I have not yet seen such a gathering of the church in any community in which
I have ever lived, and I doubt that you have either. But I pray that I will
have that opportunity soon! The greatest  hindrance to such gatherings is
one of the very oldest problems faced by the church...that of  division on
sectarian grounds! See I Cor 1:10-13. But those whose hearts are enlarged
and whose bowels are not straitened (II Cor.6:11-13) long for the day when
the church of God in their community will actually gather in such a manner
as early churches did and as I Cor.14 regulates!

I find it so amazing that those who insist on compliance with 14:34,35 in
all assembly gatherings usually ignore or say that the other regulations of
the same passage cannot apply, or the need for them has passed away!  In all
our years in the assemblies where you find your fellowship, we never once
were in a meeting that functioned by all the regulations of I Cor.14:23-40!
Verses 34 and 35 were held high but all the rest were explained away as not
necessary!!!  Why?

Many gatherings of the Lord's people in the book of Acts included the vocal
participation of sisters in speaking in tongues, praying, expounding the
scriptures, or prophesying!(Acts 1;2; 4:31; 8:4; 10:44-46; 12:12-16; 18:26;
21:9 etc)  But in the gatherings of Acts 2:46a, Acts 6 and Acts 15 there is
no mention of any sisters participating, nor is there any mention of
breaking of bread in such whole church gatherings!

Thus I see two distinctly different kinds of church meetings. (1)Whole
church gatherings in which there is one speaker at a time, all the speakers
are males, tongues speaking only occurs if there is an interpretter, no more
than two or three speak in tongues, no more than 2 or 3 prophesy and if
something is revealed to another that sits by, the first "holds his peace"
(i.e. is as silent as the sisters!)
(2)Much smaller gatherings in homes in which the saints break bread
together, where they edify one another, exhort one another, provoke one
another to love and good works, confess their faults one to another, pray
for one another, and each one (having received a gift) ministers it as a
good steward of the manifold grace of God which has been entrusted to them
by the Spirit of God.

It is absolutely impossible for sisters to obey the commands of Hebrews
10:24,25 in gatherings where they are required to be silent!  Yes, the the
saints are not to forsake the assembling of themselves together, but when
they do assemble they (not just the men!) are to provoke one another to love
and good works, and to exhort one another!   There is not a single "one
another command" in the new covenant scriptures which is limited to males
only!  Every "one another command" is for all saints!  So no, sisters are
not required to be silent in house church meetings because I Cor 14:23-40
does not regulate house church meetings in many homes across a particular
city, but rather regulates the gathering when the whole church comes
together into one place.

6. Re. distinguishing between believers and unsaved vistors or children when
we break bread and share a full meal together:...
Scripture never ever requires that saints separate physically from the
presence of unbelievers when they break bread!  For the unsaved, it is
simply a meal and nothing more. For the saints, it holds extraordinary
significance because only they can truly remember Him!  The assigning of
secondary or distant seats to unbelievers and eating before them while not
inviting them to eat as well is absolutely contrary to James 2:1-9. True
James 2 deals with partiality between rich and poor, but the same principles
apply to any partiality.  But notice also the context of this assembly
gathering...it is in a home! I've never yet been in a hall or auditorium
where the host had a footstool!.  But such is quite common in house church
gatherings where many sit on the floor!

7. Re. I Cor 11:20-22. Paul was rebuking the Corinthians for selfishness,
drunkenness, and neglect of the destitute among them.  They were having
whole church gatherings of the church of God at Corinth in one place, but
Paul clearly says, "when ye come together therefore INTO ONE PLACE, this is
NOT to eat the Lord's supper."

It seems they had turned the whole church gathering, not only into a
gathering of mass confusion of speaking in uninterpretted tongues (ch.14),
but they had also turned it into a drunken party!!   Paul tells them that
eating and drinking is to take place in their homes v.22 and that when they
do eat and drink, they are to remember their Lord.  Such eating and drinking
would rule out selfishness, drunkenness and neglect of the destitute among
them.

8.Re. criteria for "admission into the fellowship" of a house church...

A few comments first for clarification:
-Fellowship is NOT something that any believer is "admitted into". You never
ever in scripture find people who are "in fellowship" or "out of fellowship"
as many of us have been taught!  Fellowship is something you HAVE or you DO
NOT HAVE!  Every believer is called unto the fellowship of Jesus Christ our
Lord. (I Cor.1:9)  But not all HAVE FELLOWSHIP WITH GOD!  (I John 1)
Fellowship is not "extended" to some and "withheld" from others who meet a
particular standard of ours. Fellowship is that enjoyment of relationship to
God which every believer who walks in the light HAS! One who walks in
darkness does NOT HAVE FELLOWSHIP, even if he has been "received into a
meeting"!

So you see, I cannot answer your question because we do not "admit" anyone"
into the fellowship"!
Rather we receive one another as Christ also received us (with all of our
warts, our failings, and all of our features that are not yet conformed to
His image!)  to the glory of God.  Romans 15:7

(9)Re. whether folks left previous gatherings for positive scriptural
reasons or because they were dissatisfied, disgruntled, or discontented...

I do not see a necessity for there to be a clear demarcation between leaving
for scriptural reasons and being dissatisfied, disgruntled or discontented!

When any believer realizes that they are in a gathering where some
scriptures cannot be carried out, where other scriptures are wrongly
interpretted, where authority of the Head is usurped by church leaders,
where the Holy Spirit is scheduled right out of the meetings, where there is
no opportunity for one anothering and the exercise of believers spiritual
gifts etc etc etc...you will always find believers who are dissatisfied,
disgruntled and discontent!  They may not even leave, for they may not even
know why they are discontent! They may not even know what God intends that
His church should look like, but many do know that "church" as they know it
is not what it ought to be.

But I do know, that many, like the "motley crew" who gathered themselves
unto David in the cave of Adullam (in debt, and in distress and discontent I
Sam.22.) are finding tremendous blessing, restoration, enouragement, growth
in their walk with the Lord and with His people in simple, Biblical house
church gatherings  where Christ is acknowledged as the Head. There every
believer is a priest, every believer is one of the people (laity) of God (I
Peter 2:4-10), every believer is a gifted minister ( I Peter 4:10,11),
every believer is one of  the heritage (clergy) of God (I Peter 5:3), and
every believer is ordained to bear fruit that remains. (John 15:16).

I trust that the above may answer your questions and hopefully give you a
different perspective on at least a few things. But above all, I hope that
our consideration of these vital truths of scripture will not just be for
consideration of truths but that our hearts may be drawn out and constrained
by the love of Christ to live our lives as unto Him! (II Corinthians
5:14,15)

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce