House Church Talk - Practical HC Question....

Paul Cox paulcox2 at bellsouth.net
Fri Oct 17 09:22:40 EDT 2003

Dear Brother Dan,
In reading your post this morning, one sentence jumped out at me:  "In
trying to please everyone sometimes no one is pleased."  My heart goes
out to you.  I know exactly what you are feeling.  Sooner or later
though, we must be delivered from the notion of trying to please anyone.
II Corinthians, Chapter 5, verse 9 (NAS):  Therefore also we have as our
ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him.

It's been my personal experience of sitting in a new meeting and feeling
that, "these people are just off".  My feeling was based upon my own
past experience in the Lord, which of course, couldn't possibly be off
the mark.  Right?  Now think of a living room full of people each having
similar thoughts in their own little universe.  Each feels that they
know exactly what type of church life God wants based upon where they
have been or (more often than not) their own natural inclinations.  In
reality, everyone needs the cross.  The problem is that not many would
take the cross.  So they come and go.  Some stay a while, and then
leave.  Some stay longer and then they leave also.  If our heart is to
try and hold on to a certain number to maintain the church life, it will
be broken every time.

Sometimes being ambitious to be well pleasing to the Lord can just be
lonely business. I recently appreciated a message from
www.austin-sparks.net called, "Alone? - Not Alone!"  You might want to
check it out.

At the same time I do believe that where there are true seekers of the
Lord, He would have those of like burden to come together and be built
up into a local expression.  We stand with you, brother.

Paul Cox