House Church Talk - those of Ceasar's house

David Anderson david at housechurch.org
Sun Oct 26 09:42:52 EST 2003

I wanted to pause here once again before continuing on: Phil. 4:22 All
the saints send you greetings, especially those who belong to Caesar¹s
household.

Just below is a note on this "celebrity" house church, if that's what it
was, from Robertson's Word Pictures. Whether or not the household
gathering was a bona fide church depends upon how you define such.
Opinions do vary. Personally I believe Paul regarded it as such because
at the end of Romans he mentions a number of house churches in the same
style of language. Romans 16.

"Christianity has begun to undermine the throne of the Caesars. Someday a
Christian will sit on this throne. The gospel works upward from the lower
classes. It was so at Corinth and in Rome. It is true today. It is
doubtful if Nero had yet heard of Paul for his case may have been
dismissed by lapse of time. But this obscure prisoner who has planted the
gospel in Caesar's household has won more eternal fame and power than all
the Caesars combined. Nero will commit suicide shortly after Paul has
been executed. Nero's star went down and Paul's rose and rises still."
END QUOTE

The phrase "thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in
heaven" is a totally revolutionary call to action and prayer. The writer
of "Onward Christian Soldiers had it in mind when he/she penned:

Crown and thrones may perish,
kingdoms rise and wane,
but the Church of Jesus
constant will remain;
gates of hell can never
'gainst that Church prevail;
we have Christ's own promise,
and that cannot fail. Refrain

In fact, hymns like "Onward Christian Soldiers" define the church of
yesteryear in that they foresaw VICTORY. Todays Christians are content to
sing "Poor Wayfaring Stranger" as if that said it all. Nothing wrong with
"Poor Wayfaring Stranger" - my point is that the church of today, in the
West, has little collective optimism about victory. Instead of being
redeemed and reclaimed by the Lord one person at a time, the world and
its inhabitants get's "left behind." Again, let me repeat: there are
elements of truth in "left behind."

The Lord greatly encouraged and excited Paul by telling him that "he had
much people" in Corinth. Acts 18:10:For I am with thee, and no man shall
set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city. Likewise
God is (?) energizing us by the prospects of many yet to kneel at the
cross.

So let's live in the increasing light of the truth that the kingdoms of
this world shall one day become the kingdoms of our Lord and of this
Christ.

         David Anderson