House Church Talk - Re: The Local Church

goodwordusa at att.net goodwordusa at att.net
Sun Sep 28 14:56:37 EDT 2003

Bruce Woodford wrote in part:
> The Lord Jesus set the pattern in Mark 6:7 and Luke 10:1.  Whenever the
> apostles failed to obey and went alone, they NEVER saw churches
established!
>    See Peter alone at Lydda and Joppa (Acts 9). Some were healed, raised
> from the dead and some saved. But we never read of a church in either of
> these places. See Paul alone on Mars Hill in Athens (Acts 17). People were
> saved, but we never read of a church at Athens.

Hi, Bruce.

While I appreciate your observations of how the Lord often used two or more
brothers to start churches, I think we would be silly and overly dogmatic to
go so far as to say that Acts is showing us how the apostles "failed to obey
and went alone..."

We should not stoop to being so carried away with an idea as to start reading
that idea back into the Scriptures.  If Scripture does not say that the
apostles "failed to obey" in going here or in doing that, then we should
constrain our desire to jump to that conclusion.

The Acts show us God at work in and through the apostles and other believers
who trusted Him.  Let's give the Lord some credit for knowing how to direct
and build His own church.

Whenever God is telling His own story thru the Scriptures may all traditions
and dogma remain seated and silent before Him.

Amen, Bro. Bruce?

Jim