House Church Talk - the last recorded words of Jesus

Sean Kelly seank at microsoft.com
Fri Apr 2 12:47:54 EST 2004

I'll throw this out because it is slightly related and I'd sure like
some feedback on this type of thinking.

Christ prayed in John 17:20-21, "I do not ask on behalf of these alone,
but for those also who believe in Me through their word; that they may
all be one; even as You, Father, are in Me and I in You, that they also
may be in Us, so that the world may believe that You sent Me." Our
living in unity with one another and with the Father will have an effect
on the world.

Further Paul tells us in 1 Corinthians 11:26 that "as often as you eat
this bread and drink the cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He
comes." so we see that preaching is not merely a verbal activity.

Further Peter exhorts us to "always being ready to make a defense to
everyone who asks you to give an account for the hope that is in you" -
1Pe 3:15 which implies to me that my actions will prompt questions.

So I'm struck with the idea that the verbal act of presenting the gospel
may be a very small part of preaching it to all creation as we are
commanded to in Mark 16:15.

Any thoughts? It is a Friday and so I may not be thinking all that
clearly.

SeanK