House Church Talk - Re: Were women silent during the first housechurchmeeting?

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 26 20:38:44 EDT 2004

Hi RJ,

You wrote the following to Claire:"I am curious about part of your message.
I would like to know where the women speaking in tongues at Pentecost came
from?  Are you saying the women in the crowd were speaking in tongues?

I have read Acts Chapter 2 in several different versions and I just can't
find scripture to back this up.  Am I missing something?  It there a
different reference in a Pauline letter?"

Brother, the context of Acts 2 is chapter one. Follow the personal nouns and
proniubs through the chapter in order to find out who "they all" in 2:1 is
referring to.

>From 1:4 to 1:13 it is "the apostles". Then in 1:14 we read "these all" (the
apostles) continued with one accord in prayer and supplication WITH THE
WOMEN, AND MARY THE MOTHER OF JESUS, AND WITH HIS BRETHREN.

The next time this group uis refrred to it is no longer just "the apostles"
but it is now "the disciples". It is not now just eleven but "abouit one
hundred and twenty".

So when you get to Acts 2:1 and read "When the day of Pentecost was fully
come, THEY WERE ALL WITH ONE ACCORD IN ONE PLACE."   Who were "they all"?
Just 11 apostles? or was it about 120 disciples includimng women?

Who was it who was filled with the spirit (verse 4) and spoke with tongues?

2:13 seems to indicate it was "these men", but the Greek word here is NOT
the word for "males" but simply "they"!  But the clincher is when Peter gets
up to speak and his text is Joel chapter 2.

He tells the crowd that "THIS" is "THAT" which Joel prophesied 2:16. And
what was that?

Verses 17 and 18 tell us clearly:  "Your sons AND YOUR DAUGHTERS SHALL
PROPHESY....and on my servants AND ON MY HANDMAIDENS I WILL POUR OUT IN
THOSE DAYS OF MY SPIRIT AND THEY SHALL PROPHESY."

Does this make it clear where we get the idea that women spoke in tongues in
the house church meeting in Acts 2?

Hope this helps!

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce