House Church Talk - inclination toward ceremonial

jesusislord343 at juno.com jesusislord343 at juno.com
Tue Aug 31 14:38:31 EDT 2004

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 15:55:36 -0400 David Anderson <david at housechurch.org>
writes:

... was this the institution of the "ceremony of foot washing?"

David,
Your question here parallels a discussion the other Glenn and I have been
enjoying on another forum, which addresses issues related to co-equal
"eldership" oversight.  I recognize the purity of lives and devotion to
Christ of many saints who practice a "ceremony of foot washing," but
would draw attention to how certain specific things have been given
("delivered" - I Cor. 11:2, 23) to the church throughout this age as "the
traditions" of Christ.  The specific items of the Lord's table and head
covering, both from I Corinthians 11 for example, are among those
traditions, but in my estimation foot washing is not.

Many times we may err in having a hermeneutic of the casual and "natural"
in our modern house churching lives, avoiding all "externals" of any sort
in favor of what seem to be the more important issues, those of the
heart.  And yet certain "externals" (with many powerful spiritual
symbols) have been lovingly commanded us by our Lord, such as the
partaking of the loaf and the cup, head covering, brotherly interaction,
feminine modesty, etc.--all of which are very much issues themselves
which reflect the hearts of those who practice them.

All this to say that it is best for us not to reject altogether
structure, leadership, and other such things that are so easily
grievously misused--but rather to seek the expressions of those things
such as we may be *certain from the word of God* as being genuinely
Spirit-worked.

"...Therefore, brothers, stand fast and hold the traditions which you
were taught, whether by word or our epistle." (II Th. 2:15)

Grace in Christ,
Glenn S.