House Church Talk - Baptisms and Administrations

Bruce Woodford bwood4d at hotmail.com
Tue Feb 3 09:30:00 EST 2004

Good Morning Ross,

You have offered a number of reasons why you believe that water baptism is
NOT a scriptural baptism today.  I will attempt to demonstrate the
scriptural answers to your claims:

(1) When I commented on Romans 6 and I Peter 3 you wrote:"You have
introduced a second baptism in Rom 6 which is in direct contradiction to the
ONE baptism of Eph 4:5!Big problem! "

Dear brother, I did not introduce the practice of water baptism of
disciples/believers, (an action to be carried out by obedient believers) the
Lord Jesus, Himself did! I have agreed with you that baptism in the Spirit
is the "one baptism" of Eph.4.  All of the seven features describing "the
unity opf the Spirit" in Eph.4 are things which are fully and completely
accomplished by God: (One body, one Spirit, one hope, one Lord, one faith,
one baptism, one God and Father of all.)  But please notice that "one body"
does not exclude the existence of "other bodies" such as our physical
bodies, "one Spirit" does not exclude the existence of other spirits such as
our human spirits and evil spirits. So too, "one baptism" in which Christ is
the baptizer of every believer does not exclude other baptisms! He himself
will also be the baptizer of wicked men "in fire"! He Himself commanded his
disciples not only to make disciples of all nations, not only to teach them
to observe all things that He ,Himself, had commanded them, but He also
commanded them to baptize those disciples. All of those responsibilities are
incumbent on disciples "unto the end of the age". Matt.28:18-20

(2)You wrote:"John the Baptist preached baptism for the forgiveness of sins
as did Peter in Acts (Mark 1:4; Acts 2:38). Why doesn't Paul preach that in
Rom 6? Instead, he preaches a baptism of blood that unites us with the
death, burial, and resurrection of Christ."

First of all, brother, Paul never taught a baptism of blood as you claim!
Blood was the medium for the baptism of a number of objects in the O.T., but
never the medium of baptism of persons!
You are right that John preached a baptism of water for the remission of
sins, but that is not the baptism which the Lord Jesus commanded, nor was it
the reason for the baptism of which Peter spoke in Acts 2! Many compare
Peter's teaching in Acts 2:38 and Paul's teaching in Acts 16:31 and conclude
that the two were teaching different things relative to baptism! This is NOT
so! The fact of the matter is that Peter and Paul were answering two very
different questions!
-Peter was answering the question:"Men and brethren what shall we do?"  But
Paul was answering the question, "Sirs, What must I do TO BE SAVED?" Peter
was obedient to the Lord's commission in Matt.28 by informing his hearers
that they had two immediate responsibilities: repentance and baptism.  He
also declared that those who obeyed would receive remission of sins and the
gift of the Holy Ghost.  Was he teaching baptismal regeneration? Absolutely
not! He was answering a question that required a two fold answer!  Paul was
also obedient to the very same commission, but was asked a different
question and so gave a different answer. What must the jailor do to be
saved? "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thous shalt be saved, and thy
house." That was all they needed to do TO BE SAVED, but Paul and Silas did
not leave those new believers with the impression that that was all they
needed to DO!  No, they spoke unto them the Word of the Lord (instructuing
them about baptism) and, in obedience, the jailor and his whole household
were baptized.

(3)You wrote:"Apollos preached only the baptism of John until he was
corrected by Priscilla and Aquila in Acts 18, then in Acts 19, there are
some of John's disciples who had not heard of the baptism with the HS and
were then baptized (not again with water) with the HS."

You claim that the baptism of which John's disciples had not heard was the
baptism with the Holy Spirit. It is true they had not heard of the Holy
Spirit at all, but the baptism  which they had not experienced was the
baptism which the Lord Jesus commanded! The one in which they were to be
baptized "in the name of the Father, asnd of the Son and OF THE HOLY GHOST"!
  Had they been baptized with that baptism, they surely WOULD HAVE heard of
the Holy Ghost!
You also claim that they were not baptized again in water but with the Holy
Spirit. Not so! When they heard and received the gospel regarding the Lord
Jesus (Acts 19:4), they were baptized IN THE NAME OF THE LORD JESUS.  When
the Lord Jesus baptizes people in the Holy Spirit, He does NOT do it in His
own name or authority!  But when men baptize disciples because of the
command of the Lord Jesus in Matt.28, THEY  do it in the name/authority of
the one who gave the command!

(4)You wrote:"The 11 Jewish apostles had a strong commission to baptize and
yet Paul said he was not commissioned to baptize. Obviously, we need to draw
some distinctions in their ministries. The lack of water baptism is an
obvious distinction. The Jewish apostles preached water baptism for the
forgiveness of sins, while Paul preached something else: Eph 1:6-7 ...Blood,
not water. Col 1:13-14 ...Blood, not water. Rom 3:24-25 ...Blood, not water.
Can we allow for two baptisms when Paul says ONE? Where does it say we must
add some demonstration baptism to the work of God when we are now made
righteous apart from the works of the Law."

Dear brother, you make statements intended to give impressioins the
scriptures do not, and you also seem willingly ignorant of a number of clear
scriptural facts!
-Paul did NOT say that he was not "commissioned" to baptize, but rather that
he was not "sent" to baptize but to preach the Gospel. This was the very
reason why the 11 were also sent! See Mark 16:15!  But being sent to preach
the Gosple did NOT mean that that was their ONLY  responsibility! There was
NOT "a lack of water baptism" in Paul's ministry as you claim, brother! Paul
  instructed disciples to be baptized and he did in fact baptize them!
(Lyddia and her household, the Philippian jailor and His household,Acts
16:15,33;  the former disciples of John, Acts 19;  Crispus, Gaius, and the
household of Stephanus I Cor.1:16  are a number of specific people that we
knoww that Paul baptized!)
-The Jewish apostles did NOT preach water baptism for the forgiveness of
sins! (see above.)
-You say that Paul preached "blood not water" as if to infer that the other
apostles preached preached a different message than he!  This is just not
true!  Paul did NOT teach that believers should  not be baptized in water,
but rather the exact opposite! All of them preached the necessity of the
blood and the work of Christ on the cross as the basis of salvation! None of
them taught that water baptism was essential to salvation!
-Baptism is NOT "adding to the work of God" any more than "doing good unto
all men", or "presenting our bodies a living sacrifice", or "bearing one
another's burdens", or "praying always" are adding to the work of God!  But
they are all commands to be obeyed! And the failure of any child of God to
obey any of these divine commands is disobedience to God.

(5)You wrote:"To water baptize seems like disdaining God's grace to go back
under the requirements of the Law. Is such binding on us? For Israel, yes:
1Pe 2:5 WEB You also, as living stones, are built up as a spiritual house,
to be a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices, acceptable to God
through Jesus Christ. 1Pe 2:9 WEB But you are a chosen race, a royal
priesthood, a holy nation, a people for God's own possession, that you may
show forth the excellencies of him who called you out of darkness into his
marvelous light: (Remember that 1 Peter is adressed to the Jewish dispersion
and not to Gentiles.)Exo 19:5-6 WEB Now therefore, if you will indeed obey
my voice, and keep my covenant, then you shall be my own possession from
among all peoples; for all the earth is mine; (6) and you shall be to me a
kingdom of priests, and a holy nation.' These are the words which you shall
speak to the children of Israel."

Dear brother, you are confusing Peter's epistle with that of James! James
writes "to the twelve tribes scattered abroad" (James 1:1)  But Peter writes
to the "STRANGERS scattered abroad throughout Pontus, Galatia, Cappadocia,
Asia and Bythinia"!  There is nothing at all in this epistle which indicates
that it's message is exclusively for Jewish believers and has nothing to do
with believers from among the Gentiles! There are a couple of references to
"Gentiles" in 2:12 and 4:3 but Paul and John in I Cor.10:31 and III John 7
also distinguish believers (among whom national distinctions are done away)
from "Gentiles"!  You write as if God, after the finished work of Christ on
the cross, still makes distinctions in the Body of Christ between Jew and
Gentile! It might be wise to read Ephesians 2 again!

(6)You claim:"Water baptism is part of the old Jewish dispensation in
preparation for priesthood. After Paul's special commission in Acts 13 to
the Gentiles and then moving on to see the results of his council with the
Jerusalem apostles and elders of the circumcision: Act 15:7-29 and 21:25-26
Even though Paul baptized himself for purification, the Gentiles did not
have to observe any such rituals and demonstrations of the Law!"

Dear brother, where in all the new covenant scriptures do you find the
teaching that baptism of believers (Jews or Gentiles)  in water  had
anything at all to do with "preparation for priesthood"???  If this is, in
fact, the case -please tell us when the "old Jewish dispensation" and thus
the need for water baptism came to an end?  If baptism  had only to do with
Jews, why were Gentiles commanded to be baptized by Peter, himself?  Acts
10:47 Why did paul and Silas baptize the Philippian jailor? Why did Paul
baptize Gentiles at Corinth? Were they under some "old jewish
dispensation"???

You confuse two things which scripture never mixes together, i.e.
circumcision and baptism!
Circumcision was not given just to be observed under some "old jewish
dispensation", but rather was to be observed by descendants of Abraham
(Arabs and Israelites) FOREVER! See Gen.17:9,10,27.  But baptism of
disciples OF ALL NATIONS was commanded by the Lord Jesus UNTO THE END OF THE
AGE! Matt.28:18-20
While the circumcision of Gentiles was never required by God (this was made
clear in Acts 15) there is no indication at all in Acts 15 or any later
scripture that baptism of Jewish or Gentile believers was not required!  Or
have I missed something?  When did Peter, Paul or any other apostle stop
baptizing Gentiles?

Your brother in Christ,
Bruce