House Church Talk - About the "Gospel of John" movie!!!

jim pierceall jpierceall at brtc.net
Sun Feb 29 12:12:54 EST 2004

> From: Thomas Shou <thomasshou at yahoo.com>
> I saw "The Passion" too! Too much emphasis on "the passion/intense
> graphic suffering of JC". Really a profound meditation on Isa 53. THANK
> God it ends with His glorious resurrection! albeit too brief! (I was the
> only one in the theater who clapped at the end....!)
-----------------

Hi Brother - Thanks for sharing, and also the alternative film offering...

Mel Gibson "cut his wings" in the "action film genre' " - Mad Max, Lethal
Weapon(s), Brave Heart, Patriot, We Were Soldiers, etc. - all are notable in
detailed
and intense camera work, focusing and drawing the viewer into the
struggle/conflict known as drama, using violent scenes which has become
expected in his dramas, in concert and associated w/ his acting skills...
Many scenes if not "over the
top", certainly border on the unbelievable, as compared w/ reality...  Thus
expected his treatment of the Passion of Christ to hold true to his
genre'...  After-all the reality of the Passion of Christ was a good match
w/ his theatrical wings...  In that, I was NOT disappointed - though the
scourging scenes - IMO came close to over the top... Yet in the details,
displaying a blood thirsty mob, hardened Roman Soldiers w/out compassion,
these were there "that day", and probably carried a measure of accuracy?

Mel opened also w/ Isaiah 53...  But Thomas you already know, that in the
Hebrew Text, numbers and chapter designations weren't there...  And w/ Ish
52 flowing seamless into Ish 53 w/out interruption.... here we have a more
complete scriptural picture of what Jesus suffered for us:

Starting w/ Ish 52:13-15 and then flow into the more recognizable Ish 53
text:

13 See, my servant will act wisely;
he will be raised and lifted up and highly exalted. <<could be the cross?>>
14 Just as there were many who were appalled at him-- <rejected>
***his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man***
and ***his form marred beyond human likeness***--
15 so will he sprinkle many nations,  <by the blood of Yeshua?>
and kings will shut their mouths because of him.
For what they were not told, they will see,
and what they have not heard, they will understand.

Seems the "sanitized offering of the standard Hollywood fare" of the
crucifixion, has misled many, as to what actually happened to Messiah that
day...  and the IC versions seem to consistently and repeatedly leave out
Ish 52:14...  Thus many believers are shocked at this movie likewise...
These being the ones, I suspect, I heard weeping in the dark theater

This portion:  <<For what they were not told, they will see,
and what they have not heard, they will understand.>>

I am most interested in the incoming reports of those that have never been
told, when they see this film, will they suddenly see and understand what
they were NOT seeking???  In other words, what will "unbelievers" reaction
to seeing this film result in???

Thanks again Thomas, and now w/ your incoming post, you too Frank...

Got to run, and meet up w/ some saints...

JimP - kentucky